HybridZ

LSx s30 Longtube group buy thread

boy from oz, wOw, your system looks great from underneath-any pics of the rest of the exhaust to share?!

i received some pics today of the right side proto as well. his process was draw both sides, build one, build the other, test fit and so on. he's already begun to make mods to the left proto as per feedback that has been posted in this thread and commented that we have presented a formidable challenge for him [me thinks he is enjoying this!].

The big rear mufflers are Pontiac G8 and will be swapped once the car is passed our tough registration requirements. The system is tucked up very close to the floor but I'm not so sure I haven't outsmarted myself as I'm now very concerned about the heat transferring to the cabin.

post-1266-088547000 1305687678_thumb.jpg

That looks great! Where is your starter? Can you remove it without taking off the header? Have there been any changes to the driver side header to try to equalize length of primries?

Starter was installed when I dropped it off. I cant imagine that he removed it. I'm sure its just the angle

your extractors are look great been long time coming to see this happen in a group buy but sure you will all love results when you get them fitted

I was very frustrated burning plug leads with my JTR lhd header so finally bit bullet and built my own long tubes to suit rhd car

just a suggestion and not sure if it is possible with your lhd cars have pic below of how i made my lhd side trying get as close as possible to equal length tube does mean i have to remove oil pressure sender to fit to car but other wise it slides in from bottom fine

also picture of rhd side showing gap for steering

made in 3/4 tube

post-969-088202100 1306146326_thumb.jpg

post-969-070591900 1306146345_thumb.jpg

post-969-053620800 1306146419_thumb.jpg

finally reached the builder today after trying for 2 days. they are close proximity to joplin-while they did not experience any damage their phone service has been out then spotty for a few days.

update-right side proto nearly complete. you will need to pull the header to change the starter but he feels [based on similar lt's for the vettes] that heat will be any concern.

left side, cut apart awaiting new bends to build again. no way to route any tubes outboard of the steering rod due to the size and location of the johns cars mount-it takes much room. he's hoping about a week to get that side figured out.

i did send to him all the images from both of our down under friends custom lt's for reference and ideas-thanks again for posting them 'boy from oz' and 'zed240au'!!

important-asked me today-"dave, anyone running auto trans?" told him very few and asked why. replied that these headers will NOT work if you are running an auto. if you are, no problem or hard feelings if you need to back out-we did not realize this when the thread began.

this is what i know at this point. as always, thanks for your patience, i'm in line with you!

important-asked me today-"dave, anyone running auto trans?" told him very few and asked why. replied that these headers will NOT work if you are running an auto. if you are, no problem or hard feelings if you need to back out-we did not realize this when the thread began.

Umm. What? This seems like a pretty vital thing to address in the beginning of the build... I would think quite a few people (At least the people that actually plan on going fast in a straight line) will be using an auto trans. So he isn't going to try to get them useable for an auto at all? I guess I am out, which is really frustrating since I had my fab guy NOT make headers for my car.

if you feel it so vital-why didn't anyone bring it up?

sorry, i am NOT perfect, i didn't think of everything, i am NOT an engineer. i AM a z enthusiast, i AM trying to do something no one has done before for those of us who have stretched our limitations and installed something unique in our z's and i AM doing my best to see this through while balancing everything else in my life.

ok mistafosta, i get it-you're out.

Edited by 1 tuff z

if you feel it so vital-why didn't anyone bring it up?

sorry, i am NOT perfect, i didn't think of everything, i am NOT an engineer. i AM a z enthusiast, i AM trying to do something no one has done before for those of us who have stretched our limitations and installed something unique in our z's and i AM doing my best to see this through while balancing everything else in my life.

ok mistafosta, i get it-you're out.

Don't take it so personally. It really seems like something the shop should have addressed to you initially. Thank you for your effort, its just extremely frustrating waiting all this time with them telling you so late in the process they wont even be attempting an auto setup. So this is only going to be for a t56 car? I might still get a set and adapt them to a th350/400 since it would be easier than getting a full set made custom.

it's hard not to take it personally as i feel if this does not come out like we expect then it's on me-hope you can understand that. just like everyone else who is on the list i wanted them a month ago, exactly as we desired by the initial expectations but, as a good friend of mine long ago told me "everything takes longer than it does...".

if, once they are completed you desire to purchase them that's cool.

water under the bridge & no hard feelings

This is great. Is it too late to get on the list? If not, then please add me!

Questions:

How much more power and torque vs the Sanderson 1+3/4" headers would you expect on say, a 440rwhp ls motor?

Would there be any additional clearance problems for the 1+7/8" primaries vs the 1+3/4"? f.e. would spark plug boots melt like they do with the Sandersons? Would the 1+3/4" melt them?

Will there be plenty of access to tighten bolts or v-bands or change gaskets in place? To remove and reinstall the back-half of the exhaust?

not too late-i'll have an admin add you.

This is great. Is it too late to get on the list? If not, then please add me!

Questions:

How much more power and torque vs the Sanderson 1+3/4" headers would you expect on say, a 440rwhp ls motor? i should let someone who knows more about engines than me answer this one. from what i have been told by 2 different lsx wrenches we can expect in the neighborhood of 15-20, dyno will tell...

Would there be any additional clearance problems for the 1+7/8" primaries vs the 1+3/4"? f.e. would spark plug boots melt like they do with the Sandersons? Would the 1+3/4" melt them? no spark plug issues expected for either-i did ask and insist this was addressed properly and is one of our build criteria-if i remember correctly is listed in post 1 of this thread.

Will there be plenty of access to tighten bolts or v-bands or change gaskets in place? tighten header bolts-yes, another important item. gaskets change in place, i believe so. To remove and reinstall the back-half of the exhaust? also yes.

Edited by 1 tuff z

Bummer... this requires me to back out. :(

• 2 weeks later...

spoke with our builder early saturday afternoon and wanted to post. it's been a week since my last update-i'm jonesing as much as the rest, if not more for pics and such.

right side design is pretty much there. had what he thought was a great proto then tried to remove it and it would not comeout without removing something or moving the engine-aargh! cut it apart now for the 3rd time. left side he said is 'kicking my tail' to incorporate our design requirements but also said he is confident will be completed soon. we are definitely behind schedule-which bums me as i had hoped to have them on the z and driving already-no such luck.

spoke with our builder early saturday afternoon and wanted to post. it's been a week since my last update-i'm jonesing as much as the rest, if not more for pics and such.

right side design is pretty much there. had what he thought was a great proto then tried to remove it and it would not comeout without removing something or moving the engine-aargh! cut it apart now for the 3rd time. left side he said is 'kicking my tail' to incorporate our design requirements but also said he is confident will be completed soon. we are definitely behind schedule-which bums me as i had hoped to have them on the z and driving already-no such luck.

Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress. Looking forward to seeying the finished product.