HybridZ

Jonesing For a Z31 Turbo...Not Sure Why!

slownrusty

As of late I am aching for a nice clean Z31 Turbo ('84 Anniv. Edition, Shiro or an '87-'88). I sadly missed a really nice adult owned '84 AE Turbo local to me in Houston, but have been scouring the classifieds, Craigslist, eBay etc frequently. I really feel these cars are coming into their own and when I compare them to the MA70 / 7MGTE Supra or the FC3s Mazda RX7 TurboII (both great cars), the Z31 Turbo seems so much more appealing (also love the look and styling of the Starion \ Conquest ESI-R but hate the TBI and the 2.6L 4 cylinder engines in those cars). Don't be surprised if I report back in with a new addition to the family (when I should be using that money to fix-up my house...laughing!).

Yasin

• Administrators

Too funny, I to sometimes think I want one. Not sure why though. It may be because my uncle bought one brand new and let me drive it... before I had my license :wink: At the time I thought it was a stunning car. And to a young man, use to driving pick-ups on acreage, it was damn fast. I quickly outgrew my desire for one, but the last few years, I've had an itch.

Let us know if you scoop one up.

I'm close to liking them with ZG's...

Z31wZGs.jpg

If I find one for you in Oregon, you'll come visit?

Ugh, I came here to post a picture of that car. Such a beautiful machine, and yes, they do look amazing with ZG flares. I'd love to have one of these cars to mess with.

yupp, lately I find my self aching for either a Z31 turbo or an S12 with a VGT conversion.

I ran out of space to store cars years ago and sadly my income has not increased equally to my rate of spending but boy every once in a while I see a photo of z31 that fans the fire.

good luck in your search, if you find one in San Antonio I may be able to inspect it for you.

Edited by Sparky

All while I had my Z31s, I was jonesing for a (decent) S30. I finally found one and now I'm getting rid of the L dinosaur for the VG (dodo bird). I got rid of those Z31 boats.

I hear you Bloz..while the Z31 Turbo may not be the fastest thing in the world right now and V6 Camrys can humble them (who would have thunk), they are plenty quick to commute maybe 1-2 times per week to work. They just look great, are solid, well proportioned and a perfect all rounder. I would love a clean one, that I would put an beautiful hand made exhaust on, turn the boost just a notch (and maybe an intercooler)..I love the factory 16-in wheels and the factory ride height.

I hear you Bloz..while the Z31 Turbo may not be the fastest thing in the world right now and V6 Camrys can humble them (who would have thunk), they are plenty quick to commute maybe 1-2 times per week to work. They just look great, are solid, well proportioned and a perfect all rounder. I would love a clean one, that I would put an beautiful hand made exhaust on, turn the boost just a notch (and maybe an intercooler)..I love the factory 16-in wheels and the factory ride height.

The only reason why they are not fast by modern standards is because you lot won't spend money on em. 99% of Z31 owners are tight arses who mostly give the impression that the Z31 is an interim thing or else are agressive 'don't mess with me because that's all I can afford' types. Yet if its a Porsche or a Austin Healey or whatever spend up big, no problem you are a cool retro dude. But a Datsun? Gee, I feel sorry for you, keep trying :blink:

I dont spend money on them because it's not worth spending loads of cash on a bloated chassis with semi-trailing arms. I just bought the last one I had as a parts car, that also happened to run. I didn't anticipate finding the perfect s30 so quickly, but even when I did, I had no qualms about chopping up a perfectly good 88t for the drivetrain. Should have kept the brakes! They aren't that appealing to me anymore. I just see them as potential parts stores.

• Administrators

Now how come I never hear that in respect to BMW M3's ?

You can consider this your first complaint then :wink: While I'm not on exactly the same page as BLOZ UP, I will tend to agree with him that semi-trailing arm is not on my list of favorite features. I've owned a couple M3's. In stock configuration, the semi-trailing rear is just okay. They can be modified to favor certain characteristics, which is something they did with the DTM cars. For example, stock sweep angle is 15 deg. DTM cars ran around 11 or 12. Production Nissan cars use something closer to 25 deg. The DTM cars were also built for adjustable camber, toe, and roll center. If I ever own another E30 M3, I will seriously consider some of the 'advancements'. My current daily driver is an E36 M3. While not a huge leap in rear suspension design, It does suit my tastes better.