HybridZ

Garage for guys who love cars pictures

DekThaiG35

Hey there,

I'm in the process of building my house and I would love to fix up my garage so I can build my Z. Can someone please post picture of your garage for the inspiration.

Do and Don't or Best Practice advices always welcome as well.

Thanks again!

-V

Pics no, advice wise, build it bigger than you think you should. So if you think 30x30, make it 35x40. 10 ft min ceilings as well or enough height for a lift.

I had to have a 3 car garage in our house or I wasn't going to move. It's big dont get me wrong, but I should have added more.

Edited by JSM

If I had the money and the time I would buy a old gas station or some older brick building that I could use as a garage (maybe a fire station) and build a loft to live in and have the garage below. I would maybe do something like a aircraft hanger with a loft as well.

garage-mahal.jpg

Check your local laws to see what you can build as that could dictate how big you go. In my case, ground coverage and height restrictions limited me. I can live with footprint but the height killed me for a full height lift so I settled for a half height. 24x32 and it has seen 4 Z cars in there at one time, still with room to work :)

Joe

Make sure you have plenty of light, and plenty of electrical outlets too.

If you're going to be running a welder that runs off of a different voltage other than 120, make sure you not only have that plug wired in, but in a spot that is going to be condusive to welding.

Oh and the POR-15 or whatever floor coatings are awesome!

Thank you so much guys, questions!

1) Should I install AC in my garage? I lived in Houston, Texas and during Summer, it is killer here. Anybody have AC garage? How was it? If AC is too expensive, which I think it is. I'm thinking about install bunch of fans for ventilation.

2) Should I do Epoxy Paint floor or Race Deck? This is the part I'm willing to spend a bit more money for eye candy. I also wanted to know how practical they were when it comes to cleaning the floor from oil/dust.

Thanks again for all the inputs cheers!

-v

I have heat and AC in the garage. Not too expensive if you insulate the hell out of the garage during the build.

I'm struggling with the epoxy paint I had installed 7 years ago. It's peeling badly and generally looks like crap. I'm looking for a professional company to come in and do it again. This time someone who will stand behind their work.

Epoxy painting your garage floor is awesome. You can spill oil on it and it'll sit there for days at a time until you clean it up without soaking in. It also looks much better than bare cement and will help hold it together so you won't get cracks.

I'd recommend it.

I'd also definitly recommend some sort of ventilation that can move air around. I'd definitly make sure to put up nice insulation in the garage too. A/C is going to be expensive though because it's going to have to constantly be fighting the terrible insulation factor of the garage door, and that when you open up the door, a ton of heat will come rushing in.

If you have the ability to do geo-thermal heating and cooling, I'd do that. You'll save on electricity and technically it's a "green" thing to do so you might be able to get a tax break.

I'd also definitly recommend some sort of ventilation that can move air around. I'd definitly make sure to put up nice insulation in the garage too. A/C is going to be expensive though because it's going to have to constantly be fighting the terrible insulation factor of the garage door, and that when you open up the door, a ton of heat will come rushing in.

Not too expensive if you insulate the hell out of the garage during the build

That is what I'm thinking as well, insulation part might cost some serious $$$ I will talk to my builder and see whats up. But I kind of lean toward the ECO/Fans system style that you had mentioned, maybe it worth the research. Back to the drawing board :) Thx again!

My two biggest "must haves" for a garage no matter what size,(though bigger is better)are:

1 Insulation. For hot/cold protection as well as NOISE cancellation..don't want to upset the neighbours..or your own family! Don't forget to create an area for an air compressor...insulated so it doesn't upset YOU when working in the garage!

2 Paint it all nice and bright! Lighting is expensive, so painting the walls/floor and ceiling to maximize reflective lighting.

Goodluck!