HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

Matt, Plan to attend an event near you this year! There is good reason I'm revising my platform!

Stealing that helmet blower idea, BTW!!!

Mikw

The helmet blower is great. After trial and error I have ordered a little item that I think you will agree is necessary. The silicone fitting that attaches to the top of my helmet is molded and constructed with a bend in the fitting. This is for helmets that have the helmet fitting on the side of the helmet. My Stilo has my push to talk on one side and my hydration on the other. I use a top mount blower attachment. I am having cool suit send me a straight, rather than angled fitting, because it hits the roof of the car while driving. The other fitting will iliminate that problem.

Just a thought..........

Matt

post-13190-079018500 1344206992_thumb.jpg

The helmet blower is great. After trial and error I have ordered a little item that I think you will agree is necessary. The silicone fitting that attaches to the top of my helmet is molded and constructed with a bend in the fitting. This is for helmets that have the helmet fitting on the side of the helmet. My Stilo has my push to talk on one side and my hydration on the other. I use a top mount blower attachment. I am having cool suit send me a straight, rather than angled fitting, because it hits the roof of the car while driving. The other fitting will iliminate that problem.

Just a thought..........

Matt

Mike,

You said you saved a few of the pics from my car. That is a very nice compliment. A photographer this past weekend took a some shots and a few really stood out. Its my new screen saver............

post-13190-018200300 1344287571_thumb.jpg

I thought I would post an interesting shot that a photographer did of my car and my Tonka truck at the track this past weekend. I dont get many pics of my daily driver.........

I'm no photographer, but I love the lens effect this guy has. It makes things look like candy.

Matt

post-13190-015511800 1344656997_thumb.jpg

post-13190-093725900 1344657013_thumb.jpg

post-13190-017134500 1344657302_thumb.jpg

Matt I don't have a few of the pics, I've got everything in this build thread saved... Just incase I decide to go the LS7 route.

Thinking about possibly doing pikes peak in 2014.

Mike

2014...........I have a hard time planning for an event next month. I encourage you to set that as a goal and do everything to achieve it. I had a good friend of mine just got back and they wore P.P. out. He just went out and did it to say he did it. Is this a bucket list item or are you wanting to compete in the event?

Matt

Not sure. My business partner does it every two or three years on his KTM 560 supermoto. I'm thinking it might be fun to "do it" once and see if I like it. Now that it's paved it won't be as big a beat on the chassis and suspension. The cage would have to be redone for sure, and maybe the fuel cell.

Mike

Not sure. My business partner does it every two or three years on his KTM 560 supermoto. I'm thinking it might be fun to "do it" once and see if I like it. Now that it's paved it won't be as big a beat on the chassis and suspension. The cage would have to be redone for sure, and maybe the fuel cell.

Mike

I was having such a great today until I went into the tire barrier at 150MPH. Long story.............and I should have known better, just pushing a touch too hard. Went and got the Datsun at the shop and gonna get back on that horse that threw me tomorrow. I'll just fix the Vette back better than before, but what a buzz kill.

and I didnt think the entire course was paved. Did they just do that this year???

Matt

post-13190-072412500 1345343559_thumb.jpg

I appreciate all the different people who have followed the thread and all the comments. I wanted to post a video so everyone could see her in action. This was the NASA Hotlanta Challenge at Road Atlanta in August, which is very hot and slick. In the Thunder race group, which has the fastest cars, there is normally about 8 different race groups all mixed together. The fastest, usually, is the GT cars. They are normally Porsche cup cars from Grand Am or some IMSA group doing practice under race conditions. This race was a long race thus I didn't post a 45 min race, only I can watch all of it on the egde of my seat to see who wins, again and again. There was a bad wreck towards the end of the race, a Corvette Zo6 took it into the wall, something I know a little about as well. This brought out a lengthy red flag and everyone almost died in their car from the heat, Ive never appreciated a cool suit as much as that day. The restart is stacked up and we are running 1st in class but 5th overall. The C6R Corvette spins on the final lap and I was able to finally overtake the MTI Racing Z06, Reece Cox, who is my sponsor in his personal car. We ended up with 3rd overall, only behind the two 500k porsches. Which for a 42 year old, slightly modified vintage car is something else. My goal is to get the Aero balanced, which is in the works and try and compete with the cup cars and eventually win overall. Thats a tall order but might as well shoot for the stars.

Enjoy............

Matt

This week we are fabricating a front splitter and undertray in Carbon Fiber. I wanted to document the steps we are taking as this is kind of uncharted. I have seen a few people try and I applaud their efforts, I just feel as if we are approaching this in a 100% function and application over something that looks cool. I have a few guys that have spent a lot of time in the wind tunnel and they are spearheading this part of the build. After our last race at Road Atlanta, where we did quite well. I noticed that there was a lot of time being lost approaching the esses and how other cars around me utilized a much higher downforce setup to their advantage. The Datsun is in an unlimited class so the build rules are minimal to say the least. I love the way the car looks with the three piece IMSA tail and from a historical point it pains me to change it in any way. I however want the car to reach its ultimate potential and to do so is going to require the front splitter, some side skirts for the air to lay on and a 60 inch rear wing. I am just about the only car in the entire group of 40 cars I race with that doesn't have a giant rear wing. Step one has begun and we have taken and cut the front air dam to make it level from one side to the other. We then took and molded a lip in fiberglass for the CF splitter to attach to. We are in the process today of attaching the undertray to the bottom of the car. The next step is the wing. I'll post pictures as we go. Here are a few of the lip we made on the backside of the airdam.

Matt

post-13190-005243800 1346086448_thumb.jpg

post-13190-078639200 1346086466_thumb.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together. I dont get too excited over things usually but this is something I am floored over. I cant wait to test it this weekend. We have, as I mentioned in a previous post, leveled the front air dam to accomodate a front splitter/undertray. The splitter is now in place and looks incredible. My expectations have truely been exceeded and I dont have a problem saying that there is not another one like it. Notice how the splitter trey's out at the corners to accomodate the air laying on top. This also will make it marry into the side skirts that will come in phase three of the aero project. We have started the rear wing and uprights but I will wait to post pictures when we get more done. For now we have one BAD AZZ SPLITTER...........I hope you all concur.

Matt

post-13190-008074400 1346280997_thumb.jpg

post-13190-094873400 1346281024_thumb.jpg

post-13190-010789000 1346281145_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is another shot that gives an idea of the new profile.

and before you ask why the white tape that looks like crap. I just haven't replaced it after the last race. I do that to fill all gaps and to secure the fittings. I redo it before each outing and the faster I go the less you notice

post-13190-079675300 1346285597_thumb.jpg

Edited by cobramatt

Have you considered a diffuser on the backside of that splitter? I know it doesn't seem like it would do much, but the NASCAR guys were able to get some very noticeable effects from a diffuser that led nowhere (I want to say 80 lbs additional downforce and they have no undertray behind the splitter/diffuser), just because it increased the velocity under the splitter. Even cars with full undertrays will run diffusers behind the splitter for that reason. Look at ALMS cars, etc for ideas. Probably find some info at mulsannescorner.com. Could also do diffusers into the wheel wells.

Have you considered a diffuser on the backside of that splitter? I know it doesn't seem like it would do much, but the NASCAR guys were able to get some very noticeable effects from a diffuser that led nowhere (I want to say 80 lbs additional downforce and they have no undertray behind the splitter/diffuser), just because it increased the velocity under the splitter. Even cars with full undertrays will run diffusers behind the splitter for that reason. Look at ALMS cars, etc for ideas. Probably find some info at mulsannescorner.com. Could also do diffusers into the wheel wells.

Thank you,

I was waiting for your comments and I mean that in a good way. As you know more than most, this is new ground and I want to try some different things to try and acheive the best results given our benchmark. I think this is a good start and with the addition of the rear wing, I am testing on track Saturday. I am also having another professional driver do laps in the car so we can compare notes and data from the AIM system. The data aquisition system is going to play such an important role in that it shows exactly what is going on and comparing it to the data that we have without the aero will show our gains...........or losses.

Matt

The Porsche 996 GT3/GT2/and Twin Turbo use a similar setup with difusing and duct guides *(instead of duct tubing) to cool the brakes and generate "guided" velocity. Good idea for sure.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly