HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

Schedule has changed a little down here. The NASA event at AMP has been cancelled. I have also signed up to run at Barber in the Chin Event in a few weeks. Here's the big news......... Z Nationals at Barber Motorsports Park at the end of the month, where everyone on this forum should be at, they are putting a professional run group together. I guess they have me confused with someone else as they have asked me to be a part of it in my car. Nissan Motors will be bringing the 370Z's from the Contenental Tire Challenge, The 300z IMSA cars will be there, they are also bringing the IMSA GTP car and running it on the track, thats my all time favorite and fastest Z of all time. That car sits in a private collection museum all year. I will have every Smarty cam / Go Pro etc... I can get my hands on running when that goes down. It might be my ultimate day at the track. Me, My Car, and a bunch of famous Z cars all at Barber Motorsports Park. I'm dreaming......

Matt

I have never taken the Z to a car show primarily because she is not a show car and not street legal. This past Sunday is our monthly get together at Caffiene and Octane. Over 1000 cars usually show up for the cruise in. AMP now has a corral of members that park together and they asked if I would join them. I trailered the Z up there and was amazed at the attention she recieved sitting next to all these supercars. I was happy for her as she loves to steal the spotlight. I also left her hood off so she could show off her muscles.

Matt

post-13190-076030000 1347026665_thumb.jpg

Been working on side skirts..........didn't want to post any pictures until I had a better idea of what we were doing.

First picture is just mock up.

This is what I'm taking to the track tomorrow. We am going to actually make them bigger as these were designed without the rear wheel on. After we put the wheel on I realized there is another 3" that I can bring it out and have even more surface area for the air to sit on. This is why we dont design with the expensive stuff.

We also installed two new hood pins in the middle of the hood as it was bowing up from the high pressure. Very secure now. I'm going to cut a hole in the cowl next week and make a trap door to be able to access the pedal reservoirs. We also put an additional hole in the uprights so be able to adjust in a little more rear downforce.

We adjusted the bump steer. The front right had 1" of play left front was pretty bad too. The rear was almost dead on. It is now within a 1000th of an inch in front. You think that make it a little more stable at high speed???? Ya Think.........

Matt

post-13190-055291300 1347661155_thumb.jpg

post-13190-092532000 1347661176_thumb.jpg

post-13190-013539300 1347661209_thumb.jpg

I also wanted to post a picture of her going into the trailer.

They say that your aero package is just about right when it wont go in the trailer and you cant get a jack under it. Id say this is either genius or just plain dumb luck. You can probably get a few pieces of notebook paper under the nose when shes going in.

I take absolutely no credit................thats just Dumb Luck.

Matt

post-13190-086672500 1347662519_thumb.jpg

What will you make skirts from?

Same as the Splitter. Carbon Fiber

I need to talk to you. I was watching the video of you and Mike at VIR and the rear of your car seems very planted. I know that your rear flares are different than mine. I have those same ones from Brian but didnt put them on since we already had two sets of CCW's and the offset doesnt work with the wider flares. Your's are about 1.5 inches wider than mine. I however was impressed by the way the car squatted in the corners. I am very happy with my car, dont get me wrong, I just want it to be the absolute best it can be. I am not going to rip these flares off and start over but if there was anything that I think could be better would be the stance in the rear. What size rims and tires are you running in the rear?

You and Mike need to find time to come down here and bring your toys and we can play. I think that would make for some incredible video.

Matt

Matt. I'm running 17 x 12 in the rear. Just got the car back together after a flying off at Vir a year ago. I'd love to get down there with you and mike one weekend. I may even take a day or two off for that!

The car may have looked planted in the video but I assure you, it's a hand full. I have been running victor racers because they were cheap. They don't make the rear sizes anymore. I was running a 305 or 315. I'll be going to 18's just for a better selection of rubber.

I'll go thru 2 or 3 sets of rears and the front tires still look pretty good but are heat cycled to death. The car has never pushed. I can steer with the throttle any time any where.

My set up continually moves in the stiffen front soften rear direction. With a new set of rear tires on the car I love it like it is now. I may try a stiffer arb at some point.

I keep looking at those rear wings. I have an idea in mind that would use the stock rear bumper mount as the upright mounts. Hopefully one day it will move from my mind to metal.

This controlled substance is commonly referred to as "Weekend Therapy" in the medical community. I am a recreational user and certainly not addicted.....................

I have also re-named my cars, thier new names are Utter and Denial.

Matt

post-13190-086880400 1348015370_thumb.jpg

Edited by cobramatt

I want to take a second and thank Chad Burnette for all the incredible pictures he takes at all the different tracks in the SouthEast. I know there are a few screen savers out there, well he is the one who should get all the credit.

He took this a few weeks ago and I have no idea how this works but the car was going 160mph and in the picture the car is static and the background is blurry. Isnt it supposed to be the other way around???

Very Cool.............

If anyone is in the SouthEast and wanted a true professional to do a personal shoot or trackside shoot I highly recommend his work.

BTW........He doesn't work for free.

Matt

post-13190-095849500 1348016851_thumb.jpg

Chad forwarded these to me tonight. He certainly has an eye for beauty.

In three weeks I will be at The Z Nationals at Barber MotorSports Park in Alabama, running my car with the famous GTP and GTU z cars of the past, the new 370 Nismo Z's on the continental Tire WC circuit, and some other z's that raced at one point or another. I have Chad going as well and I am sure this will be the shoot that I have been dreaming of. I am hoping that my car is at least competetive on the track with all these factory race developed cars. It will be a good test for sure.

I really like the one with the empty track in the background..............it's in the chicane that is inspired by the Nurbergring. Some people have said, was I aware that my front left comes off the ground all the way around the turn. I guess seeing is believing.

Matt

post-13190-009040500 1348108245_thumb.jpg

post-13190-078717000 1348108308_thumb.jpg

post-13190-093603500 1348108328_thumb.jpg

post-13190-028882700 1348108351_thumb.jpg

Edited by cobramatt

This weekend was a Chin Event at Barber Motorsports Park. I wanted to get some practice in for the upcoming Z National in a few weeks. I met so many great people and Chin really does do a great job in running the event. A guy named Joe, who has been road racing for the past 20 years in GT1, had built a "71 Camaro full tube frame race car complete with a Grand Am LS7 race engine putting out around 700 hp. It was the best looking Camaro I've ever seen. EVER.........

It has an Alabama licence plate on it and I asked,"How the hell did you get a tag for this car?". He said in Alabama for $25 you can put a tag on just about anything.

We went out for a few sessions but my video chip maxed out and I didnt get the footage. It was epic.......The control tower marshals came up and thanked us for such a cool show of Vintage cars blowing past everything on the track. Made me feel special enough.

Check out this video of when I first came up on him on the front straight and the lead follow that insued.

I cant wait for someone to give me crap about missing my shift at 2:39...........

Matt

Edited by cobramatt

Two things... Thanks for more pics... LOVE THEM, and Oh um... About that shifting... my dad used to have this saying. "Keep grinding them, they'll make them out of rubber next year!" :lol:

As usual great video... Keep waving the hybridZ flag for those of us who are down, but not out...

Mike

Matt,

If the splitter is effective, you think you could get your guys to make a copy of yours? We have the same front end so fitment should be close.

Did you still want me to make a copy of this splitter for you? You just want a template or one just like it in Carbon Fiber?

It is effective and we balanced it with the rear wing. I am adding four canards (dive planes) to the front nose this week so I can put more rake in the rear wing.

Matt