HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

In trying to create more downforce and modify a 42 year old aero package I made some canards out of carbon fiber and installed them up front. This will allow me to increase the rake on the rear wing and balance the back. I have to admit that when a car gets to this point everything is fun. Plain and simple. Ever since I was a kid I have always loved dive planes on a car, functional ones that is, not the stick on kind from the auto parts store. There is something about them that just makes a car look faster, more agressive. I understand enough about aerodynamics to not do things that cause more drag and not increase grip. There is a trade off. I have a race on Saturday and will provide feedback.

Matt

post-13190-095365500 1349396973_thumb.jpg

post-13190-062550700 1349397038_thumb.jpg

Was at Z Nationals this past weekend at Barber Motorsports Park and was able to put down a few quick laps. Car balance is really starting to come together.

I must have given 10 people ridealongs, each one of them smiling ear to ear as they got out of the car.

Here are a few laps........

Enjoy

Man this thing is coming together well. Matt, Seriously, you, Icard, myself and a few others should get together down at AeroDyn2 and collect some data on these cars again with all the aero treatments we've each employed.

Mike

Man this thing is coming together well. Matt, Seriously, you, Icard, myself and a few others should get together down at AeroDyn2 and collect some data on these cars again with all the aero treatments we've each employed.

Mike

That sounds like a productive get together. I'm sure we have some WC Vettes that would like to share the cost.

Let me know.

Here are a couple of keepers from this past weekend.

BTW.......My last session I blew my diff in a million pieces. Very lucky it did'nt lock up and turn me into a passenger on the way to wallsville. Should have it fixed for our next NASA race at Carolina Motorsports Park in three weeks. $$$

Matt

post-13190-059038800 1350061464_thumb.jpg

post-13190-075250200 1350061495_thumb.jpg

post-13190-000043800 1350061516_thumb.jpg

post-13190-099131000 1350061558_thumb.jpg

post-13190-055086300 1350061598_thumb.jpg

Do you have a feel for what caused the diff to fail? Was it on an up-shift, down-shift? I need to go buy some of those green socks.

In any race car especially in any extended session, the diff is the weak link. I would say without question that in endurance racing, like Le Mans, the diff is probably the most looked after and developed piece on the car. In my case I ran the car for an hour and a half and was very hard on it. It just couldn't take the extended abuse and wasn't designed to, so I kinda got what was coming to me. I'm glad to know what sort of life span I can expect. My car develops 550 Lbs of torque at the rear wheels. After almost an entire season and it not breaking already is a miricle. I'm glad it did it during practice and not during a race. I think what we are going to do is over the winter we will retro fit a ford (Cobra) rear end in the car. It's going to be much larger and be able to stand the acceleration and abuse. Thats the plan anyway........

Green socks are Guuuuuuwwwwd...............

Matt

• 5 weeks later...

Matt, Couple questions...

What fluid did you run in it and where did it break?

Mike

Mike sorry for the delay I have just not been able to check the forum in a while. I have everything fixed and it was the pinion that was sheared. We reconditioned a few and had the new pieces treated with hardner then installed. It just cant run flat out for that long. If I really want to fix the issue I need to work in a Ford 9" rear end. Possible winter project.......

I ran at CMP this past weekend and won my division but more importantly took second overall. That is huge considering the depth of the field and amount of cars in our race. Here is a little clip from the start of the race. Pretty cool that we had two Vintage cars P1 and P2. That Porsche 914 6 was fast and its his home course. I eventually was overtaken by a GT1 Trans AM Corvette. He should have won anyway with that car.

Here are the official results...... http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=2530501

Edited by cobramatt

I have not checked in a while but have added an item that I think a few of you will like. A rear view color HD monitor. In my race this past weekend I found it to be very helpful.....

The pro's and con's.

1. I have been checking my mirrors for 28 years on track and its a very hard thing to change. I actually forgot I had installed it for a long time as it was just natural to check my mirrors. I covered the rear view mirror with black tape and it forced me to check the new monitor. That was not my idea BTW. I was going to take the mirror out and a fellow racer said why didnt I just cover it, because maybe I would not like it and I could just take the tape off. (Giving credit where credit is due)

2. I think you really need to get used to more than just where you look to see where someone is behind you. There is the fact that if someone has a bright painted car and they are on your bumper it can distract you. Once again, something I need to get used to.

3. I was a little more comfortable in my race on Sunday with the setup and found its location to very helpful in keeping my situational awareness and not having to actually take my eyes off the track in front of me.

4. It cost a little over $200 in parts. A rear back up camera (mounted in the rear fascia) and a 7" monitor (made for a head rest). The wiring took around 5 hrs. We had to install a few more switches to our dash panel to accomodate the on/off of the camera. Now we will have a few extra lines when they are needed.

5. I think the cost is justified and in time will be an advantage over my competition. If all else fails its really easy to back in to my pit stall now.

Matt

post-13190-0-70593300-1352781915_thumb.jpg

Why do you need to see behind you? That thing is quick as hell!

Nice idea. I like it. Very cool.

Its quick..but there is always someone quicker. With the roll bars, smarty cam mount and camera, the halo racetech seat, in a helmet with a Hans device its not exactly that easy to see out the back. This gives me 170 degrees of vision and I dont have to even move my head. I appreciate the witty humor but the thing really does work. I need all the help I can get. It also doubles as a Blu Ray player so I can watch my favorite new releases going down the back straight.

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have my last race of the year next week at Road Atlanta. We took advantage of a Chin Motorsports event at Road A this weekend to test and tune. I had some serious problems this weekend. I think there are going to be some extensive winter projects as I am taking the next two months off from any racing. I hope my tranny makes it through the race next week. The syncro for 3rd is just about shot. My coolant crossover came off during hot laps and I didnt notice the alarm light on the AIM dash, the damn light is as big as a pin head. Well the engine shut off and went into a cripple mode. As I was pitting the water temp was at 342. Yes, that is 342. We think thats a record for temp and the engine not frying. Took it apart overnight and fixed the little crossover hose and it fired right up. I'm a damn lucky guy. That was about a $25K mishap. We will be installing idiot warning lights on the dash over winter. The CV boot issue is re occuring. They were not meant or intended to go 170 mph. There are some other serious items that I will get into later but need to get all my notes to properly describe what we had to do. One being, where the coil over is bolted to the knuckle. There are 6 bolts holding it together. All part of the original "Track Pack" Arizona Z stuff. Well needless to say Dave didnt design it with a car with 335's on the rear 600hp and 550 lbs of torque. We had to re engineer that....or death was emminant.

Here are a few laps until the CV boot failed right at the end of the video. I always keep extra boots, grease and boot ties on hand.

Matt