HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

The one VERY bright spot to my weekend was the new MTI Designed AP Racing brakes that we custom made the brackets and hats to adapt to my AZC stuff that came with the wilwood 6 piston brakes. The rotors and calipers compared to the Wilwood stuff makes them look as if they came off a lawn tractor. I have been able to do fairly well with the old setup and have a ton of real data to compare the new set up to the old set up. The track this past weekend was around 2 seconds off of its normal times due to it being August and hot as hell and slippery. That was the consensus from some other seasoned drivers times. The new setup allowed me to be .3 seconds off of my all time low time. This is very encouraging and I am looking to try and find a 1:26 before its all over or I kill myself trying.

I would never suggest someone testing a completely new brake set up that doesn't even exist on another car at Road Atlanta in a NASA SE Thunder race. It seemed like a good idea at the time for some reason........

I would love to know if anyone would be interested in this AP Racing big brake set up for their car? 

I have 17" CCW Classic race stepped lip wheels and their is still 1/4 inch of clearance on the barrel.

The reason I went with the AP Racing package is because it is the same exact one on my Corvette. Now I have the same set up and pads on both cars. For the record they are CarboTech XP-20's. 

post-13190-0-17477100-1375750796_thumb.jpg

Edited by cobramatt

We have reached a solution to the ring and pinion / diff failure issues.

We are installing an MTI Racing built Ford Motorsports 8.8 Differential. MTI Machine will be fabricating all the new mounts and structures.

Here is a picture of one that was being shipped out today to be installed on a GTO. 

I haven't decided on the gears as we need to look at the data and see if we can improve by making a few changes there. I'll keep you posted.

We all know that nothing is bullet proof.........However this is a whole lot more to work with. Strangely, it is larger than my Q45 pumpkin but weighs less due to it being all aluminum and not steel. The cost to keep replacing and repairing the one I have is just not paying off. I think it still is the best option for most HybridZ builds and track cars but I seem to be a little harder on mine than usual. 

Its hard to say that its money well spent after all we all can relate to spending stupid amounts of money on these builds but this is money well spent. I have proven that the amount of torque I am putting to the wheels will cut the shelf life of my present setup considerably. For the record my setup was the Q-45 pumpkin and the carbonetic diff with the custom AZC axels. The only axel failures I've experienced have been in the boots leaking or flying off at high speed, so no broken axels.

Here is also a shot of the new brake set up behind the wheel.

If anyone is interested in this Differential setup for their car please let me know...............

post-13190-0-88553100-1375752346_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-35958500-1375752553_thumb.jpg

Matt, Sorry to hear about the failure, but I guess it's also progress.  Now you know you have a weak link and have developed a plan to improve it.

If anyone is interested in this Differential setup for their car please let me know...............

I'm interested.

When balancing weight, cost, and parts availability the 8.8 wins hands down.  It still makes no sense for 99.99999% of the Datsun owners out there who don't destroy r200's.  I'm glad their are guys like Matt out there who will thrash everything, and come back and tell us all exactly the way it went down.  The elusive 1.26 is there.  For your sanity and your wallets sake, I hope the list of sacrificial parts is near complete.  I can't wait to find out.

Thanks Matt,

Aww man! It is too bad I am so far away, riding in that car would absolutely be a dream come true for me.

-Mike 

Thank you. I appreciate the compliments.

I don't know if this will work but we can try this first. This is a link to my photobucket account.

I noticed you are in CA. Thats too bad as I try and make myself available to forum members who want a ride at the track. The Vette is for just that, giving joy rides and instruction. I will be instructing at Road Atlanta this next weekend and giving certain people rides in the Vette at speed. If you ever have any questions about the Vette please feel free to call me at 404-218-0588 or e mail me at matt@mtiracing.com. 

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/MattIsbell/library/?sort=3&page=1

How's the progress and pricing on MTI sequential T56?

The progress is great in that we have shipped and sold every one we have completed and an "undisclosed" LMP car maunufacturer has our gearbox in it and they want to spec it for all the other ones they produce. It costs $25k and compared to an emco it is quiet and smooth. Paddle shifter options will be available soon and will be around a $7k to $10k option upgrade. 

How many did you want?  :icon45:

You ask...........Why dont I have one in my Datsun? Well its simple. I dont have $25k. to replace a tranny that I already win with. 

Are you asking if I am interested in buying your old diff setup, or in getting a copy of your new setup?

Are you asking whether you want to buy my old set up or a new set up? 

I've already sold you a perfectly good LSD that should be working great for you. Why would you need another one?

When balancing weight, cost, and parts availability the 8.8 wins hands down.  It still makes no sense for 99.99999% of the Datsun owners out there who don't destroy r200's.  I'm glad their are guys like Matt out there who will thrash everything, and come back and tell us all exactly the way it went down.  The elusive 1.26 is there.  For your sanity and your wallets sake, I hope the list of sacrificial parts is near complete.  I can't wait to find out

Matt, Sorry to hear about the failure, but I guess it's also progress.  Now you know you have a weak link and have developed a plan to improve it.

I'm interested.

Understood.

Let me work out the kinks of the set up and make it right then I'll let you know what someone would be looking at for the set up. 

Thx...

On the diff I was just trying to clarify which diff you were promoting, your Q45 diff or were you trying to get a feel for demand for the 8.8? Your old diff is holding up fine.

I'm having trouble with the way the Datsun diff is secured into the chassis-ripping my floor pans apart right behind the seats-that whole transverse seam is separating. Wish the old tin can had something solid to bolt to.

Just because I don't have $25k right now doesn't mean I won't ever. That sequential kicks ass. The tough decision will be: join AMP while living 5hrs away or get that kick ass gearbox!

BTW-what does MTI stand for?

On the diff I was just trying to clarify which diff you were promoting, your Q45 diff or were you trying to get a feel for demand for the 8.8? Your old diff is holding up fine.

I'm having trouble with the way the Datsun diff is secured into the chassis-ripping my floor pans apart right behind the seats-that whole transverse seam is separating. Wish the old tin can had something solid to bolt to.

Just because I don't have $25k right now doesn't mean I won't ever. That sequential kicks ass. The tough decision will be: join AMP while living 5hrs away or get that kick ass gearbox!

BTW-what does MTI stand for?

MTI stands for Motorsports Technology Industries or Matthew Transmission Isbell whichever works for the situation I'm in.

There is no denying the sequential is sick. The Emco is $38K after everything and its loud as hell. This one is smooth and extremely quiet for $25k and it uses the T56 housing. There are other things I would do before I spent the money on one for myself. In my cars case I would tube frame my car and design the cars suspension and undertray like a modern racecar. This is what I should have done when I started but I really never envisioned the car I have today doing what it does and being capable of what it does either. If you are wanting to stick with Drag racing mostly then the sequential would not be the way to go. 

Thanks for the advice, buddy. I'm really feeling the pain of the ancient sheetmetal too. I have a thread started in the Gen III forum describing my latest breakages: 1) broken driveshafts (3 times now), and 2) The transverse seam in the floorpan behind the seats is separating. Got a lot of shtuff to repair before I get out to AMP again. One step forward, two steps back. Have tossed around the idea of switching to an LS converted RX7 to try to move up a few decades.

after every video, i get all excited inside.   :icon10: keep them coming.

jimbo

Thank you Jimbo. 

Here are a few shots from this past weekend that I thought were deserving of an honerable mention. I also want to point out that my good friend Joe that has the F body "Trans AM" Camaro 850hp montser pitted next to my car. MTI Built his engine and he is part of our team. When we are off track we are very good friends but when the helmets go on something happens and is quite fun to watch, as soon as the checkered flag drops we are best buds again. 

post-13190-0-23689800-1376001055_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-26247700-1376001081_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-95734700-1376001098_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-18526300-1376001120_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-73334800-1376001245_thumb.jpg

Matt,

Great work! It looks like MTI is headed amazing places. Thanks for the updates and detailed responses. Next time I have 25k burning a hole in my pocket and I am thinking about gear boxes, I know who to call. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Matt,

What gear set were you running in the Q45?  Had you ever considered an R230 with a Quaife LSD and Richmond gears?  A friend runs this set up in his 300ZXTT that puts down 717hp and 630 lbs torque. It is a daily driver and regular track car. The limiting aspect is the ring and pinion ratio.