HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

I was looking at the head on shot.  I was wondering if you were going to use a structural skid plate to tie all the suspension together and protect the dry sump plumbing?  I'm doing that on my car, which has some similar changes happening.  Gotta love how easy it is to get the new parts.  BTW, have you checked out any of the ceramic bearings for the hubs?  They are in the hundred dollar range but have a let less deflection and friction under load.  

I was looking at the head on shot.  I was wondering if you were going to use a structural skid plate to tie all the suspension together and protect the dry sump plumbing?  I'm doing that on my car, which has some similar changes happening.  Gotta love how easy it is to get the new parts.  BTW, have you checked out any of the ceramic bearings for the hubs?  They are in the hundred dollar range but have a let less deflection and friction under load.  

I actually had planned on a undertray that will protect the dry sump, however, its main function will be to act in conjuction with the splitter to smooth the underside out. It will not be structural in any way and easily removable for access. I have it designed in a software program and I will search for a picture and share it with you.

• 1 month later...

We are making progress on the Datsun. I however do not know if the Mitty in 4 weeks is within our timeline. It could be close if we worked non stop but with a NASA SE race at Roebling road in a few weeks and the Corvette motor having to be replaced I just don't see it happening. This new car is going to need to be shaken down more than most and will in honesty be a completely different car than it was, better I'm hoping. It's not like we just put a new nose piece on and replaced some broken or bent suspension. I am looking forward to seeing what she can do when the time comes.

1. I am very happy that we were able to mount the engine as low and as far back as we did. Cg is greatly improved. This required some magic. We also helped the cg in the rear of the car by taking the exhaust out the sides and then we were able to lower the 22 gal fuel cell by 10 inches. Thats huge.... also moved the dry sump tank to the passenger floorboard along with cool suit cooler. By moving the dry sump tank we lost 3 feet in braided lines that were full of oil. Thats more weight than you would think.

2. T56 Dog Ring tranny is in and will be a much needed addition to the set up.

3. Front nose piece supports are in and trying to keep weight minimal. No inner wheel wells really helps. I'm waiting on testing to see where my high pressure areas are before adding any additional vents. The hood cowl looks amazing but I'm thinking it will be very functional as well.

4. Get your orders in now for this hood. It weighs less than 3 lbs and is amazing. No one has seen or had a hood like this in 30 years, This is the first one in 100% Carbon Fiber ever. 

5. New CF tail is in and is awesome as well. I am going to have to modify it as the wing uprights and it need fitment modification.

6. I am adding a 102 Throttle body, a fast intake and a new V5 cam to give her a little more umph....

In the picture that shows a frontal view notice that the alternator bracket that I reduced in size for it to fit under my last hood and I still had to have a small gurney bubble in the hood to accommodate it. In this picture, the engine is now around 2 3/4 to 3 inches lower than it was previously. Thats an incredible cg gain. 

post-13190-0-48746100-1395867067_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-55906800-1395867071_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-34987500-1395867075_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-40588200-1395867079_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-13428800-1395867083_thumb.jpg

Edited by cobramatt

Wanted to share a few pictures that are very important.

1. The hood is so light I can hold it with my pinky.

2. The structure of the front clip is so incredible that the Gnose just slips right over the bumper.

3. We have made the front bumper a separate piece that is bolted on the front clip. If ever there is an impact it should give at this point and not get the frame rails.

4. Splitter/undertray in front should be very stable in that our nose piece sub structure is strong enough for me to stand on.

5. I took a great frontal shot to show the structure of the front clip without any panels. 

I also wanted to point out that we have increased the rake of the front nose to create more downforce. This has decreased the size of the opening in the upper and lower fascia's. We are comfortable that the radiator and supporting coolers will still grab adequate air for cooling. The front looks more aggressive than any one I've ever seen now. It will really be noticeable when the paint and wrap are done.

post-13190-0-05247200-1395951906_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-03808800-1395951915_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-18449800-1395951921_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-13130500-1395951925_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-25131100-1395951928_thumb.jpg

Edited by cobramatt

Here's an option for 6-speed sequential transaxle, http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEMINI-CRAWFORD-6-SPEED-SEQUENTIAL-/131151078525?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e8936a47d&item=131151078525&pt=Race_Cars_Not_Street_Legal :-)  That would get a little more weight to the rear.

Any reason you didn't go for a Jerico tranny and save some weight?  I have the similar C&R tranny and it's 87 pounds with integrated oil pump. I'm not sure what ECU you are using but Lingenfelter makes a box that works with the stock ECU that allows for no lift shifting controlled via a load cell shift knob.  Very similar times to a fully sequential setup.  V8 supercars used to run similar with their cars before they went sequential.  They used all Motec electronics.  Here's the link in case you haven't seen it, http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LPE&Product_Code=L460135297&Category_Code=C163#.UzTNFPldXkU and a video of it in action, https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1878619807148.  I haven't looked to see if they support aftermarket ECUs but they might.

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

Cary

Here's an option for 6-speed sequential transaxle, http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEMINI-CRAWFORD-6-SPEED-SEQUENTIAL-/131151078525?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e8936a47d&item=131151078525&pt=Race_Cars_Not_Street_Legal :-)  That would get a little more weight to the rear.

Any reason you didn't go for a Jerico tranny and save some weight?  I have the similar C&R tranny and it's 87 pounds with integrated oil pump. I'm not sure what ECU you are using but Lingenfelter makes a box that works with the stock ECU that allows for no lift shifting controlled via a load cell shift knob.  Very similar times to a fully sequential setup.  V8 supercars used to run similar with their cars before they went sequential.  They used all Motec electronics.  Here's the link in case you haven't seen it, http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LPE&Product_Code=L460135297&Category_Code=C163#.UzTNFPldXkU and a video of it in action, https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1878619807148.  I haven't looked to see if they support aftermarket ECUs but they might.

Looks like it's coming along nicely.

Cary

We, MTI Racing, have our own sequential gearbox as well and it starts with the T56 DogRing. Thats half the equation. If I go to a full sequential and have $27k to spare thats the direction I will move. I picked up this tranny because I knew the owner and installed the tranny. Its one of ours out of a wrecked car and I picked it up for $5k. Could not pass that deal up as it is a $10k piece. 

The tubular structure looks so much like a Z car that I wish you could do all the panel work in lexan so we can see all the magic underneath.

Thats actually a way cool idea to do livery in clear lexan. That is really a great idea. I dont have the money for it but I know some people who do and besides it getting dirty real quick on track, I think it could be something very cool for SEMA.

I agree that the sub structure looks amazing. Thank you.

The picture below shows the slight change in front rake angle and the angry look its going to have when she gets her livery. 

post-13190-0-29093800-1395973123_thumb.jpg

Thats actually a way cool idea to do livery in clear lexan. That is really a great idea. I dont have the money for it but I know some people who do and besides it getting dirty real quick on track, I think it could be something very cool for SEMA.

I agree that the sub structure looks amazing. Thank you.

The picture below shows the slight change in front rake angle and the angry look its going to have when she gets her livery. 

Love that wheel on the car. Its really coming along. Great work.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a very successful trip to Roebling Road with NASA SE this past weekend. MTI Racing was able to set four new track records between the three of us. (ST1, ST2, TTU and TT2.) If I had the Z there it more than likely would have been five. 

The Z is coming along nicely, however we are not going to make our deadline to be able to run it in the Mitty at Road Atlanta this year. We are, in all honesty about a month off and that should include paint and body. I've attached a few new pictures of the front suspension set up and I know you will agree that it is beefy to say the least. The other is a shot of the new tunnel cover we are fabricating for the new T56. In theory it should really improve turn in and threshold braking. It will be a completely new car and I am actually looking at the bright side of not being in this weekends race. If we would have made it, we would have rushed a few things and I would not have had any time to set up the car and test. It's probably for the best..............

post-13190-0-84165500-1398202644_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-71487400-1398202655_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-42288600-1398202662_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-14649800-1398202669_thumb.jpg

post-13190-0-62370600-1398202673_thumb.jpg

on the 3rd pic on what looks like is the z is a gurney flap of some sort on the vertical part of the wing?  I have not seen that before.  why?  I probably screwed up the names but it has been a long day.

jimbo

That is a good observation Jimbo and if we were in a wind tunnel you would understand just by watching the smoke trail off the end plate. The wicker actually bends the air and thus helps the trailing air, behind the wing, remain undisturbed for longer or laminar to be precise.  When the flap is not there the air wraps around the edge of the end plate and moves towards the back of the car and if not for seeing it with smoke we would all know it worked but not known why. The air is washed out immediately when it's not there and when it is, it helps the wing (on my car) work better. It does however effect the top end speed by a hair but drag is drag. I prefer the downforce. If I were at Daytona or in a fight with a faster car at VIR that a little more top end would help, I would take it off with a few screws. People will ask if that little thing can effect top end enough to actually make a difference? Imagine that the other car is only 3 mph faster and that equates to 1/4 a car length. Thats 7.5 car lengths in a 30 lap race. This would only apply to certain long tracks with high speed straights and traffic is always a large variable.

I have a video of some testing we just did in the tunnel on a few of our Corvettes and this very principal is on video. I happened to just give it to our production guys to make a little video on how we are doing the real testing in a tunnel for the data we apply to our products. When I get it back I'll post it or give you a link and just by watching you can clearly see the smoke react in two different manners. 

Wind tunnel work is so expensive but the data is so worth it.................

Edited by cobramatt

Matt, I understand that Z1 Motorsport is holding the big gathering at AMP in October. Will you be going? If that is on your schedule, I may try to make that happen as my next trip to AMP. I don't really want to get into traffic at AMP with all the yea-whos with out you with me to instruct. I would plan to have brake ducting and mirrors. What do you say?