HybridZ

My Dream LS7GTZ.......project underway

Mocking up the engine (it's sitting back behind the shock towers and looks soooooo pretty), got the tranny mounted. Waiting on the wheels and tires to come in so we can mount the new suspension. The new "Trac Pack" from arizona Z is so much more impressive up close than the pictures do justice. They really make an incredible setup. Made the decision today to install a Tilton Pedal / Brake assembly. We can do away with the master cylinder under the hood, as the new system is self contained under the dash. New 22 gal. race cell just came in and will be in this week.

Matt

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Pics way too large. 1200x800 max

• 3 weeks later...

It took longer than expected but like most good chefs that make you wait on your food.........It's usually worth the wait. CCW custom race wheels are here. Hanging the new suspension and cant wait to hang these puppies and set it on the ground.

post-13190-037199800 1306078572_thumb.jpg

17 x 11 front 17 x 12 rear

Mounted the front today. I might need to put in a little bump stop. At full turn a slight rub. I cant think of the last time I ever turned the wheel, maybe in the pits while parking or something, all the way. Easy fix. Was disappointed to learn that we did not receive rear hubs with the AZ z track pac. I would have thought the five lug rear hubs would be included. Why wouldn't they be??? Front hubs were included. Anyway we ordered them from the local Nissan dealer and they should be in tomorrow.

Headers on the passenger side are mounted. Drivers side a little more challenging.

ALL GOOD PROGRESS.....

I have been also involved with a thread over on the "Paint and body kits" under (Race car rear wing and Aero). Any comments are appreciated.

So much eye candy. I love your build!

Thank you. I've owned, built, and raced Z cars for over 30 years. This is the one that I have always wanted to build, design and race. It truly is a fun build and your comment is very much appreciated. The R and D we do on the Aero package of this car will hopefully provide insight that will be useful to many forum members.

Matt

What headers are you using? I'm enjoying your progress.

Kooks custom headers / Burns stainless mufflers / custom 3in. piping with crossover. I wanted to run just a straight pipe but it would exceed the decibel level they allow at most tracks. They are cracking down on it more than ever these days. It will still have a mean growl to it I'm sure.

I'm customizing the rear valance to accommodate both tips on either side. I want the pipes tucked as much as possible, not trying to build a custom show car, just want air under the car to be as smooth as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking project! That's quite the build you're putting together.

Expecting to see a lot of track time?

As much track time as I can afford. She's going to give some porsche guys a good run for their money.

This is a picture of my first Z car 32 years ago. I did quite well in SCCA events. After my first I was hooked.

post-13190-020130000 1307291052_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking great! Are those tires Hoosier R6's? That is alot of meat under that car.

Yes they are R6's and after looking at the amount of rubber on the front it has forced my hand once again. I have decided to install an Appleton "power" (race) rack and pinion with the built in servo. On a technical track it would have worn my ass out without it. I also think its the only thing left in the build that I haven't replaced. The upside is that I now have a 40 year old brand new car.

The one other thing that we were working on is how we could mount a rear wing, that the mounts would go through the rear hatch and be welded to the frame rails, and still be able to open the rear hatch to fuel the cell without having to take the wing off. (I know I could just add a fueling tube to the rear quarter, but I still have to access the rear to get to the cool suit box). We have decided to run the supports through the panels just next to the hatch, remove the hinges and attach the rear hatch with pins and it will simply slide off under the rear wing. If you have a better idea, please share your thoughts, you have been very helpful during my build and I appreciate your input.

i was at watkins glen a few weeks ago instructing and speaking with the owner of the organization i was attending. he has a very modified track mustang with new monster wing on it. i was looking at his 'new addition' and noticed a pretty trick looking aluminum frame that the hatch closed onto with pins that protruded through the hatch and base of the wing. clevis pins that went through a hole in the post securing the wing-which is also bolted to the hatch. the 'posts' are slightly larger in diameter than a traditional hood pin and similar looking. this provided mounting support for the wing and allowed quick access to the hatch area for refueling and such.

the frame has 4 pins that the base of the wing closes onto. hope the way i explained it makes sense. unfortunately i do not have a picture of his car nor could i find anything on the net.