HybridZ

Car won't stay on using the alternator.

I just put a l28et in my 75 280z and am using the stock alternator from the 75 (new and tested) and a new voltage regulator. When I start the car it runs off the battery. When I remove the negitive cable from the battery car turns off. I have taken the alternator to the auto parts store2 times. Both times they said it was good.

PLEASE ANY HELP.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter? The 1975 FSM has a thorough test procedure in the Engine Electrical section.

Have the regulator tested also. If the regulator is one of the newer solid state ones it might have been damaged when you removed the cable. Or it might have been bad from the start. The old points type might not like the power surges from removing and replacing the cable either.

Did everything work right pre-turbo motor?

Is the alternator brand new or re-manufactured? I ask because I just had to change the alternator on my 620 with a re-manufactured unit. I had them bench test it before I bought it tested good but when I put it in the truck it would not charge. I replaced the voltage regulator and checked grounds and everything else. Turned out the alternator was bad and not charging the unit they replaced it with works great now. Just make sure you check all the wiring on your charging system like clean grounds and contacts.

That's a good point. There was a guy over on Classiczcar who had his brand new alternator tested several times at the auto parts store and it showed as good, but his measurements showed that it was only putting out 12 volts. You need ~ 14.8 to properly charge the battery. He had to put up a fight to get a replacement.

Does your charge light come on before the engine is started, then go off?

Edited by NewZed