HybridZ

Fuel cell questions pertaining to a daily driver

spudly13

Hey so ive been trying to talk to the state patrol and there no help, So if anyone knows the laws and regulations about having a fuel cell inside your daily driver / track car, I would love to know the rules about whats ok and whats not, or if its allowed (ive seen plenty of cars with them but double checking). For example if i am able to put my cell inside my car, do i need an external fill?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I live in washington state if that makes any difference

Thanks

Hey so ive been trying to talk to the state patrol and there no help, So if anyone knows the laws and regulations about having a fuel cell inside your daily driver / track car, I would love to know the rules about whats ok and whats not, or if its allowed (ive seen plenty of cars with them but double checking). For example if i am able to put my cell inside my car, do i need an external fill?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I live in washington state if that makes any difference

Thanks

Whether or not it is legal, it is a really bad idea for about a dozen reasons. Search on this topic here on Hybrid Z, and you will find a great deal of information, including those dozen reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Im in WA as well. I do not beleive its against any type of law here in this state atleast. I checked my RCW book and found nothing. Think of it as a street legal sand rail with a modified fuel tank sitting behind the drivers seat. As long as if it has brake lights, turn signals and seat belts, you should be good to go. But as Oddjob said, its not a good idea for a daily driver for many reasons.

I am looking at doing the same thing for mine right now. Maybe we can help eachother out with trial and error. I am trying to replace my fuel tank with a cell without cutting anything. Its been done and I have pictures. The cell will have to sit lower in the back and be exposed like the stock tank. But atleast it will be a nice aluminium look.

Ya, i already have me rear floor/tire well all cut out because im running dual exhaust straight down the middle with battery on one side and i was planning on fuel cell on top, but i think now im going to mock up a tank and build a "fuel cell" to fit on the other side of my exhaust. Im still in the planning stages here but hopefully ill get it all worked out

So your building yours to fit under the tire well?