HybridZ

280Z Stub Axles failures

I was going to post this in the drivetrain section but really want feedback on guys running LS motors in the S30's

Are the stub axles on a 78 280Z strong enough to withstand 560ft/lb of torque? Will the differential set up and axles I'm thinking of using withstand that amount of torque?

This car will never see a track, it's going to be built for street/show purpose. I will get on it or else why have a LS3 put in it. But it will not see 4K clutch dumps on drag radials.

I'm thinking of going with the long nose R200 CLSD with the Z31 turbo axles with flange adaptors since it requires less modifications than going with an R230.

Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

It always puzzles me why folks go through the trouble of putting that much power through a S30 (or any other car for that matter) w/o any plans to actually race it.

However, any amount of hard shifting will destroy you stock axles and/or stub axles in short order. Usually the ujoints are the weakest link and will keep you from breaking stub axles, for the time being....

Since you didn't provide details of the engine, I'll assume its a LS3 headed long block stroker and/or forced inducted in some fashion or another because there is no was a stock LS3 with any amount of cam or bolt on (except F/I) is going to produce 560 TQ at any RPM.

Your best cost effective route is goibg to be long nose R200 with an OBX LSD (with mods listed in DriveTrain sticky), Z31 Turbo CV axles, MMS's Z31 billet companion flanges, and MMS's billet stub axles.

It always puzzles me why folks go through the trouble of putting that much power through a S30 (or any other car for that matter) w/o any plans to actually race it.

However, any amount of hard shifting will destroy you stock axles and/or stub axles in short order. Usually the ujoints are the weakest link and will keep you from breaking stub axles, for the time being....

Since you didn't provide details of the engine, I'll assume its a LS3 headed long block stroker and/or forced inducted in some fashion or another because there is no was a stock LS3 with any amount of cam or bolt on (except F/I) is going to produce 560 TQ at any RPM.

Your best cost effective route is goibg to be long nose R200 with an OBX LSD (with mods listed in DriveTrain sticky), Z31 Turbo CV axles, MMS's Z31 billet companion flanges, and MMS's billet stub axles.

Thanks Cable,

I was sure I needed to go with the billet stub axles and companion flanges to be safe. I will look into the OBX LSD as well.

You are correct sir this is a stroked LS3 416 CID I'm having built by Golen Engines, no turbo or supercharger I like naturaly aspirated. I have attached the Dyno sheet for your viewing pleasure. It is going to be mated to a tick-performance built T56 that can handle 700ft/lb of torque and a Textralia clutch/flywheel combo.

The reason for the high horsepower motor for the street is just to have an S30 that is street legal and is capable of ripping most street cars that pull up next to it, if I can get traction. :D I gave up drag racing too many years ago, it becomes very expensive and it takes a lot of time going back and forth to the track. I just rather play on the street and go to car shows, car meets and cruises.

Thanks again for the information. There is nothing cheap about this build and I don't want to cut corners to save a buck.

post-14557-073689300 1302721895_thumb.jpg

It's the shock load that kills them. Will yours break? Probably one day. Thats alot of torque.

Actually, the shock is the final bullet that kills an already failing axle. In most cases a small crack develops at a stress riser (spline cut) and slowly propagates through the axle. At some point a shock load overcomes the remaining yield strength of the already cracked axle and BANG, your done.

Thanks Cable,

I was sure I needed to go with the billet stub axles and companion flanges to be safe. I will look into the OBX LSD as well.

You are correct sir this is a stroked LS3 416 CID I'm having built by Golen Engines, no turbo or supercharger I like naturaly aspirated. I have attached the Dyno sheet for your viewing pleasure. It is going to be mated to a tick-performance built T56 that can handle 700ft/lb of torque and a Textralia clutch/flywheel combo.

The reason for the high horsepower motor for the street is just to have an S30 that is street legal and is capable of ripping most street cars that pull up next to it, if I can get traction. :D I gave up drag racing too many years ago, it becomes very expensive and it takes a lot of time going back and forth to the track. I just rather play on the street and go to car shows, car meets and cruises.

Thanks again for the information. There is nothing cheap about this build and I don't want to cut corners to save a buck.

How fast does it need to be? That's overkill. You'd probably be better off with a much more mild setup...but, since that's not going to happen start looking into an R230 conversion or live axle setup.

Actually, the shock is the final bullet that kills an already failing axle. In most cases a small crack develops at a stress riser (spline cut) and slowly propagates through the axle. At some point a shock load overcomes the remaining yield strength of the already cracked axle and BANG, your done.

John,

Will the OSG Super Lock you offer withstand this type of torque if I go with the MMS's billet stub axles, companion flanges and Z31 turbo axles as Cable suggested?

How fast does it need to be? That's overkill. You'd probably be better off with a much more mild setup...but, since that's not going to happen start looking into an R230 conversion or live axle setup.

You do know this is hybridZ right? ;)

John,

Will the OSG Super Lock you offer withstand this type of torque if I go with the MMS's billet stub axles, companion flanges and Z31 turbo axles as Cable suggested?

An OSG Super Lock in an R200 should be plenty strong. They have been behind a couple 1,000hp+ Japanese RB30 drag cars for a few years. :-)

An OSG Super Lock in an R200 should be plenty strong. They have been behind a couple 1,000hp+ Japanese RB30 drag cars for a few years. :-)

John,

Thanks for taking my call this morning and providing valuable information. As soon as I get my hands on a long nose R200 with 3.36 gears I will get with you and make arrangements to have it shipped to your shop and have you intall the OSG Super Lock in it.

As I mentioned my R200 has 4.10 gears which will be useless for this LS set up especially with 24" tall tires.

John,

Thanks for taking my call this morning and providing valuable information. As soon as I get my hands on a long nose R200 with 3.36 gears I will get with you and make arrangements to have it shipped to your shop and have you intall the OSG Super Lock in it.

As I mentioned my R200 has 4.10 gears which will be useless for this LS set up especially with 24" tall tires.

Send me your e-mail address. I know a guy looking for a 4:10 R200 if you want to sell it.

Send me your e-mail address. I know a guy looking for a 4:10 R200 if you want to sell it.

My email address is alain.buron@bakerhughes.com. What do you think is a fair price to ask? There is nothing wrong with it, I just can't use it for my set up.

RB26powered74zcar:

Your recommendation for another source of Chrome Moly Stub Axles have the same failure mode as the 27 spline 280Z Stub Axles. I worked with MMS on their BEEFY stub axles and we overcame this failure mode.

rsicard,

Have the same failure mode as who's 27 spline 280Z Stub Axles? Nissan or MMS? These will be fine for my use. I don't have to purchase additional custom companion flanges, or put up with the pisspoor customer service to get them. I don't doubt they are awesome pieces, as MMS is quality. This is just another avenue we have to get quality stub axles w/o getting the worst service to go with them, thats all... wink.gif

If I needed extra BEEFY stub axles, I'd use this pair I already own..

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Pics way too large.

Alainburon,

You mentioned- "As soon as I get my hands on a long nose R200 with 3.36 gears". Well you will be hard pressed to find one as the 79 280ZX with the 4spd, MT was the only year that the 3.364 gears came in. You might have better luck chasing down a R200 with the 3.545 gears as more Z's came with them.

Danno74z

Alainburon,

You mentioned- "As soon as I get my hands on a long nose R200 with 3.36 gears". Well you will be hard pressed to find one as the 79 280ZX with the 4spd, MT was the only year that the 3.364 gears came in. You might have better luck chasing down a R200 with the 3.545 gears as more Z's came with them.

Danno74z

I agree sir, the 3.36 gear R200 is not easy to come by. Luckly for me johnc with has been kind enough to locate one for me.