HybridZ

trouble starting, mallory dizzy

SHADY280

Hello all, please help, read through and see if i have it right. I have ms2 v 3.57 with a mallory unilite on my n/a 79. I have everything wired and soildered together, sensors work well. It seems I cant get an rpm signal to ms. I checked the optical and it seemed to be screwed (out of the car it worked, short to ground i figure), so got the upgraded 6100m e-spark module and it (out of the car) makes the signal change. I also have an msd 6a and tach adapter that were in the car when it was running the stock ecu. For that wiring i have the white msd wire going to the blue tach, msd pin #36 (brown), and tach adapter white. The other is the small msd to blackwhite stripe and red tach adapter for power. does that sound correct. Im using tunerstudio as megatune wont seem to connect on my netbook. What setting would i use with this mallory for dwell, trigger and such. It came from another member who had it running btw.

update* still no rpm signal, disconnected the msd box so ms could fire the coil directly off pin #36 and wired the coil + directly to the battery for diagnosics. any help appreciated here guys. and for ref. i have the dizzy output signal going to pin 24. the diagram shows a reluctor dizzy with a neg to pin 2, but i dont even have that on my db37 connector. dizzy is grounded to the same clean spot as all the sensors.

Edited by SHADY280

• 4 weeks later...

installed a resistor as per matt has suggested, still no rpm signal, and tried a new optical sensor in the dizzy just incase it was bogus. really need some help here guys, is there settings im missing in tunerstudio?? anyone in my area who would like to make some money looking at it.

You should be able to hook the dizzy up and spin it by hand out of the car and see an rpm signal in tuner studio. I am confused because the first post says the dizzy optical circuit works out of the car, but how did you test it? I would get the dizzy to trigger megasquirt on the bench first. Then move back to the car without any spark stuff setup and make sure the trigger still works.

i tested it using mallorys instructions, they say apply voltage and ground. then attach a dvm set to 12v+ to the output trigger. wave a card or obstruction thru the sensor and watch the dvm, it should go from high to low, or vise versa. ive been thinking about putting the original dizzy back in just to see if i can get something. altho id rather have the optical dizzy as its far better than old technology.

• 1 month later...

ive removed the entire ms system from my car for bench testing. i havent had a tremendous amount of time and just want to drive the car a bit this summer. im gonna unhappily put in the stock efi stuff again. im also gonna get the full version of tunerstudio to hopefully help with the diagnostics. there has to be something going on. and of course more reading, i just dont understand whats going on here, i think i found a dizzy signal using the datalog, but cant find the saved file, but pin 36 still wont give output to the coil. and still no rpm signal on my guages on the laptop when spun by hand.

yeah i did end up installing a pullup ressitor in the lines and it still didnt help. its smaller than the 82zxt dizzy one tho. i followed the instuctions from the mega manual for it tho. something is going on here and im gonna have to trouble shoot it down. heck maybe ill just put edis on it and be done with dizzys all together. only thing is, i want to have ps and a/c, it seems most people omit one or the other to fit the 36 tooth wheel.

try it with a stock dizzy locked out first. i just used jb weld to do that, and wire it up for vr just like in the megamanual. i had trouble getting a signal from it at first too but it turned out to be a ground issue. i didnt know to gound the sensors to pin 19. if you go edis let me know how you rig up the trigger wheel, im looking for ideas.