HybridZ

Sunday Riddle with pics, of course

wrcbonk

After the euphoria of getting the engine and trans in the car (http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/99467-finally-some-progress/), I realized the passenger side of the oil pan was resting on the steering rack bushing collar. So back with the hoist and a rachet strap. I loosened the nuts on the tops of the mount brackets (Rick's brackets). I took the weight off the mounts and hooked the intake side of the motor to the hoist and started cranking I was able to get a gap to open up between the solid mount and the poly mount. I cut open two thick washers and slipped them between the two.

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

I now have about a half a centimeter between the rack and the pan. Would like more, but it will do.

Made a first draft of the trans mount. Used some 12-13 gage box tubing. Its easy to work with. I bought some nice 1/8-inch thick box tubing as well. When I think I have got the design down I will start cutting up that.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

Now for the Sunday riddle, with the height of the top of the shifter assembly about 1/2 an inch below the hole in the sheet metal;

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

the output angle of the trans is 4 degrees towards the floor.

IMG_0164-1.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

The angle of the diff is a fat 2 degrees pointed towards the sky. And the final detail, the center of the trans output is half an inch higher than the the diff. I am measuring heights from the garaget floor. I think the height measurements are pretty solid because the chassis trans mount wings measure level front to back.

Let me know where you think my setup needs tweaking. Thanks

Bill

i have a mckinney trans mount but i am thinking about making my own. i am thinking about mimicing the stock mount but moving it back inline with the mounting bolts on the trans. the mckinney flexes like crazy when you put the weight of the trans on it. it is gusseted but that's a lot of weight at a 90 degree angle (as us pilots would wall it a "moment"). i thought i had my angles just right today, cranked her up, tuning the aem and got into 5gear and got alot of driveshaft vibration (has to be because i dont have any axles hooked up to my diff). it took me a day and a half to get it where it is now but it still isn't right. i need to find a digital inclimometer, as i cant read these damn angle finders up in the tunnel. I tried using sockets coming off the flanges, using the crankshaft (which seemed the consistent), etc but whatever, i'll figure it out. i had to shim my drivers side mounts up a lot even for the mckinney oil pan to fit. i would say at least 1/2 inch.

Hey Bill,

Remember when you helped me set the ride height on my car, specifically the points we measured from? I would measure from those points to determine if the car is sitting level. If the car is still on jack stands, the front or rear may be higher than it normally would be, thus throwing the measurement from the diff/trans to the ground off. Good progress.

From what it needs, sounds like the trans needs to come up 2.5 degrees and the diff down .5 degrees to give you 1.5* equal.

I found a good thread on the angle bit:

Driveline angle

I have a laser pointer, if you want we could make a jig to mount it to the back of the trans or front of the diff for a visual comparison if you think it's helpful.

-Robert

So still working on this. I welded up the thicker wall (1/8-inch) one and a half inch box tubing I had. To get the trans up and reduce my driveline angle I added some large washers to the trans mount. I am still at just over 3 degrees and I want 2.5 to match my diff. One more washer may do. Not excited about all the moment arms in this design. I will have to monitor things carefully once torque is added to the mix.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

Bonk

• 9 months later...

LOL... I made a near identical Tranny Mount! I was worried about crushing the square tubing when bolting to the body mounts so I placed a thick walled round tube inside that the bolt passes through. I figured it would also hold the torque better over the long term.