HybridZ

Source for 15/16" or 1" brake master cylinder

I just completed upgrading my brakes from the Toyo 4x4 fronts with stock rotors and rear drums to disks all around, vented rotors front with the smaller Toyo 4x4 calipers and Maxima calipers on the rear.

The "smaller" Toyo 4x4 front calipers are the ones that have the same piston size as those that work with the stock solid rotor (I believe they are S12+8 from an 86 Truck, not the S12W) but have the wider slot for use with the vented rotor.

Anyway, the brake master cylinder is now just a bit too small so I want to upgrade to a 15/16" or 1". I've looked around for one from a 79-81 280ZX but they are becoming rare and I haven't been able to find one for less than $190.00, which is rebuilt and doesn't include the reservoirs. I read through the brake upgrade sticky and saw a reference to 1" master cylinders and the 280ZX units, where can I find a 1" unit that will work with the stock booster or a reasonably priced 280ZX unit?

Just so nobody wastes their time the $190.00 price is from Silvermine Auto so don't tell me to go look there. If it's the cheapest source I'll buy one from him but the price is more than I want to pay, especially considering I can go to a dual master setup for not much more.

Heres an example of a Wilwood setup from Speedway Motors for $190.99 plus shipping.

Wilwood dual master

Wheelman

A 1"" bore is too large. You want the 79-81 280ZX MC. Have you tried Motor Sports Auto (MSA) or Black Dragon (BD)? BD sells the 280ZX MC for $139.95.

Thanks for the suggestions but

MSA lists it as not available and BD shows it as back ordered.

I attempted to order one through RockAuto yesterday, they initially accepted the order but canceled it today saying the part is NLA.

Wheelman

I agree on getting one from auto zone. Best price around. You can use the resevoirers off of your 7/8 mc. I posted a wtb thread here and another member sold me one for $50 shipped. He even had the resevoirer caps replated. It was in beautiful shape.

I just got one recently from Blackdragon. It was on B/O when I ordered it too, and it took about 4 weeks. They must only get them in small quantities. The brand was Nabco from Japan. Works great!

Honestly, I've never had good luck with "rebuilt" units from any of the automotive stores...they all malfunctioned after a short amount of time.

If you can wait on it, that's the way I would go.

Edited by RisingSun

I checked with AutoZone, O'Reilly's and Napa Auto, none have one, nearest Pepboys is 163 miles away.

Everyone of them has told me to call back in a couple weeks, maybe they'll get one in at the warehouse.

Hadn't considered JCWhitney, they're site listed one for $136.00 but I'm skeptical they actually have it.

NothernAuto also shows they have one but again I'm skeptical.

I found the Z source of AZ before the original post, $251.00 is more than I want to pay, even for a "new" one.

I ran across another recent thread on this topic, the poster found a 1" unit from Walbro that works, other than requiring a little more pressure on the pedal is there another reason these are "too big"?

The price is $131.00 for a brand new unit and the car is pretty much auto-cross only so requiring more pressure on the pedal is not a bad thing at all, what do you guys think?

Wheelman

What's there to be skeptical about? It cost me like $40 and arrived within a week.

I have the silvermine kit and there's already less travel than the original system. I would think that you'd rather be able to tease the brakes some instead of it just be all or nothing like an on/off switch. Range of motion is good, you just don't want it to bottom out or feel really squishy of course. For autocross I suppose the truly ideal setup would be whatever matched the range of the throttle, but that's what aftermarket pedals are for.

Edited by getoffmyinternet

• 4 weeks later...

How does the 1982-1983 master cylinder differ from the 1980-1981 ??? I just installed the toyota 4 piston units

on stock rotors and they work fine but there is more pedal travel. Since the 81-81 master cylinders are hard to

find I was wondering why the 82-83 units wont work.

I think the main difference in the 79-81 MC is that they have front and rear reservoirs. I think the 82-83 MC has only one reservoir. I don't see why the later models wouldn't work the piston inside is the same size (15/16"). Physics would be the same.

How does the 1982-1983 master cylinder differ from the 1980-1981 ??? I just installed the toyota 4 piston units

on stock rotors and they work fine but there is more pedal travel. Since the 81-81 master cylinders are hard to

find I was wondering why the 82-83 units wont work.

82-83 units bolt up differently than the early models do .