HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

It looks like you're using all Arizona Z Car suspension & braking components?  What do you think of the quality at this point? Any installation issues?

That car is going to be a veritable jewel when you get it done.  Beautiful color choices.

Edited by Phantom

Thank you,

I'm using all Arizona Z parts except the coilovers, I went with the McKinney set up since I wanted to retain the stock strut insulators. I had them use a set of 4 new ones as mine were a little cracked due to age.

So far fitment has been good overall. I love the quality (very well made parts) and look of it all. I had all the aluminum pieces clear coated in order for them not to tarnish over time. The only issue I have is that these parts come with absolutely no instructions at all. There is so much adjustment on these control arms that they should come set to factory specs or as close to it as possible. This way the car will not look like a 3 legged dog until you have it aligned. Also it will save you time from having to google for pictures to see other's installs.

I just set the control arms as close as possible to what I have seen online since it will not be driven before it gets a 4 wheel alignment and suspension adjustment. Other than that I say the Arizona Z parts are second to none.

Also you'll need to find a shop that can turn brake rotors while on the car.  My local Nissan dealer does that.  I found that the combination of old spindles and adapters left my Willwood Superlite rotors with way too much run-out.  Yours has been put together much better so that may not be an issue but thought I should mention it. 

WOW! Those photos turned me totally green. Need to work harder and get some serious commissions to spend on mine. Problem is that I can't resist driving it every chance I get so I'd mess up all that gorgeous under body in a couple weeks.

Thanks you all, believe it or not I will drive this car. In fact that's why all the undercarriage parts are powder coated to withstand the elements. Even the aluminum suspension parts have been clear coated in order to maintain the same look year after year. Of course I don't intend to drive it in the rain as it will only come out on nice sunny days.

I just wanted the option to be able to clean the heck out of it, take it to a car show and be able to represent the HybridZ community well but my main goal is to drive it and enjoy it. No garage queen here. :D

• 4 weeks later...

All I can say is wow! With all that shinny stuff underneath and on the engine well, pretty much everywhere I'd be scared to drive this thing anywhere. One small puddle in the roadway and I'd be spending hours wiping everything down! 

The car truly looks awesome! I hope you plan to show it, it's a work of art! I hope you are still within your budget but something tells me your not :D

Awesome Car!!

Thanks guys,

We were just talking about how much of a PITA is going to be to keep this car clean but funny thing is I actually enjoy hanging out in the garage after a ride wiping the car down with a cold beer (whiskey in the winter) in hand.

As for the budget, you are absolutely right. It has been blown a long time ago and I'm not even close to being done.

Sounds like my garage build.  To get a 2-car garage, I had to terrace the yard, build a retaining wall, build a pool, add a huge porch on the back of the house and renovate the entire exterior of the house, install sprinklers, lay sod and landscape the yard.  What's a budget?  Oh, and the garage still isn't done.

I've followed your journey since you've started.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  Reminds me of an old saying I once heard. . . "nothing hard is ever easy!"

You have said very little about the specifics of the engine build.  Post #244 has the dyno results and I was wondering if you could share with us the camshaft specs?

Thanks

Sounds like my garage build.  To get a 2-car garage, I had to terrace the yard, build a retaining wall, build a pool, add a huge porch on the back of the house and renovate the entire exterior of the house, install sprinklers, lay sod and landscape the yard.  What's a budget?  Oh, and the garage still isn't done.

I hear you, that sounds about right. Plan for $20 and spend $200.

I've followed your journey since you've started.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  Reminds me of an old saying I once heard. . . "nothing hard is ever easy!"

You have said very little about the specifics of the engine build.  Post #244 has the dyno results and I was wondering if you could share with us the camshaft specs?

Thanks

Sorry for not posting any more details about the engine, it must have slipped my mind. The engine is a Mast Motorsport LS3 416 CID Black Label turnkey engine. It’s supposed to make 630hp but my rings are gapped for a 200-250 hp shot of nitrous so I lost a little hp because of that. It comes with its own computer and wiring so it’s basically plug and play.

Here are the engine specs including the cam. Thanks for following this build and you are right it has not been easy at all but it will be all worth it when it’s done and I can drive it.

LS3 Aluminum Block

Plateau Honed to 4.070

True Surfaced Deck

Engine Block Deburred

Blueprinted Shortblock

Clevite Rod and Crank Bearings

Callies Forged 4.000 Stroked Crankshaft

Callies Forged H-Beam Connecting Rods

Diamond 2618 Alloy Pistons

Mast Black Label LS3 Medium Bore Heads

ARP Head Bolts

ARP Main Studs

Cometic Head Gaskets

Mast LS3 Custom Hydraulic Roller Cam (240/256 Duration   610/634 Lift   114 LSA)

GMPP Hydraulic Roller Lifters

Mast Black Label Pushrods

Mast Dual Valve Springs

Mast Hollow Intake Valves

Mast Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves

Cloyes Race Timing Set w/ Z-Chain