HybridZ

78 280Z LS3 Project

Update,

Today I received the R200 back from John at Betamotorsports and I have to say I'm very pleased with his customer service and workmanship. The R200 was completely rebuilt with new bearings, seals and a OS Giken Super Lock LSD unit was installed. The case was powder coated to match the T56 transmission, driveshaft and CV axles.

Still waiting on a opening at the fab shop for the frame rail and fuel tank work not to mention a reply from Ross at MM.

post-14557-092446200 1307559461_thumb.jpg

post-14557-015384700 1307559471_thumb.jpg

post-14557-070357200 1307559483_thumb.jpg

post-14557-007397000 1307559513_thumb.jpg

More parts came in. :)

I received the CV parts from Rockford CV's and the axles back from powder coating. I was able to assemble them without any issues and flipped both cages as per the MM instructions.

I also received the front and rear Suspension Techniques anti sway bars. So far I'm happy with the quality of all the parts I have received but I have to say my budget is alreadt shot. :(

Oh well, I had a feeeling that was going to happen.

post-14557-055581200 1307745250_thumb.jpg

post-14557-042056500 1307745262_thumb.jpg

You have got to have the prettiest rear-end on the planet. ...Did that sound a little funny? Seriously, think about putting a plexiglass window in floor your back hatch - seems crazy to put all that powder coating where nobody can admire it. At least put some mirrors on the floor of your garage. Looks great, hang in there and for goodness's sake, don't scratch anything!

You have got to have the prettiest rear-end on the planet. ...Did that sound a little funny? Seriously, think about putting a plexiglass window in floor your back hatch - seems crazy to put all that powder coating where nobody can admire it. At least put some mirrors on the floor of your garage. Looks great, hang in there and for goodness's sake, don't scratch anything!

It did sound a little funny....lol

Thanks for the compliment. This car's main purpuse is street/show, it will never see rain, that's the reason for all the powder coating. I will try a represent my Z community well.

Edited by alainburon

Just went thru this and wrote a little thread. 5/16 is so close to 8mm that I can't tell any difference. Metric has some weird spec (10.9) that isn't the same as "grade 8," so I went with 5/16 grade 8 bolts. Had to order them long and cut them off to be correct length and have a long enough shank. Source and part numbers are in the thread. Thread is located on page 2 of this forum entitled: Driveshaft Bolts for JCI driveshaft

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 3 weeks later...

Just went thru this and wrote a little thread. 5/16 is so close to 8mm that I can't tell any difference. Metric has some weird spec (10.9) that isn't the same as "grade 8," so I went with 5/16 grade 8 bolts. Had to order them long and cut them off to be correct length and have a long enough shank. Source and part numbers are in the thread. Thread is located on page 2 of this forum entitled: Driveshaft Bolts for JCI driveshaft

haha I thought you guys were working waaaaay too hard. I just used standard all along :blink:

• 5 months later...

Well after several months of waiting I finally have a spot at the local fab shop that will be installing the frame rails and building my fuel tank. They stay very busy and it's difficult to get your car in there but well worth the wait.

I removed the dash and shipped it to Dash Restorations USA for full restoration. It should look like it did from the factory. Those guys do awesome work.

Also removed all A/C components and replaced the heater core. Ordered a new evaporator and expasion valve along with a new condenser.

post-14557-099474100 1326045378_thumb.jpg

post-14557-093423700 1326045399_thumb.jpg

Mind posting or shooting me a PM on how much the dash restoration was? There is a place called just dashes or something in cali I was thinking of using just want to compare prices.

thanks-

Pat

The dash will cost me $975, I thought of using Just Dashes but these guys were a little cheaper vs. the $1500 that Just Dashes quoted me and do the same quality work. Hope this helps.

The dash will cost me $975, I thought of using Just Dashes but these guys were a little cheaper vs. the $1500 that Just Dashes quoted me and do the same quality work. Hope this helps.

Ya thats sounds alot more reasonable than what just dashes quoted me as well. I won't need it done for a few months but im trying to get an idea of how much my project is gonna run me. Trying to plan out for it instead of jumping in and not keeping track of my spending. I'd like to keep the total bill under 15k, considering what I bought the car for should be fairly easy. Thanks a ton for the info and keep up the good work on the car! I can't wait to see it when its done.

I just noticed your in Houston, maybe I will get to see this car in person when its done! :)

-Pat

Edited by MrCleburn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just came back from the fab shop. They have installed the bad dog frame rails. They have also completed the fuel tank and also notched the front differential mount for dual exhaust. Tank is 17.5 gallons (more than I expected and it does not hang down much past the rear valance. Still have to remove the tank to send the stock fuel sending unit to be rebuilt. It seems nobody makes those anymore and I want to keep my stock gauges. also would like to have the straps that hold the tank in place powder coated or chromed, I have not decided yet.

post-14557-091052200 1327767143_thumb.jpg

post-14557-078335900 1327767154_thumb.jpg

post-14557-054331700 1327767163_thumb.jpg

post-14557-091617600 1327767343_thumb.jpg