HybridZ

which engine for the track

flatline

was considering to build up my datsun 260z to be a perfectly restored high powered beast with a 2jz-gte engine in it.

I then bought a Dodge Viper GTS little bit tuned by Heffner performance and absolutly love the car! I also occasionally drive some trackday events and now I want to build up the Datsun for track.

I have about $ 20.000 to spend on the car, but because a 2jz-gte is a bit heavy, I also consider different engines.

So what engine would be a good engine for the track.

Goal:

450+ RWHP

Smooth power delivery

NO v8

Turbo engine (maybe considering a A8JP engine)

Good weight distribution

Thinking of the following engines:

SR20DET

2jz-GTE

Cosworth engine (YB series)

A8JP TVR engine (single plane crank)

What do you guys consider to be a good engine for my project for "normal" prices.

PS I live in the Netherlands, so some parts are easier and some parts are harde to come by.

Edited by flatline

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Europe, hence close to UK wreckers with TVR's... TVR flat plane 8 all the way! There are LSx's around, such as in the Vauxhall Monaro (aussie Holden monaro with a new badge) but they aren't as dirt cheap and ubiquitous as the in the US.

So go for something a little more Euro and easier to source locally.

BMW V12 or TVR V8 would be my picks :D

BMW N54! You could easily get one of those 20 grand. :)

Sure it'll be insanely more complicated and expensive than a 1jz/2jz, but it'll be neat, and you'll have a really nice torque curve.

Mainly I just wanna see it done, and I think you're the man for the job!

BMW N54! You could easily get one of those 20 grand. :)

Sure it'll be insanely more complicated and expensive than a 1jz/2jz, but it'll be neat, and you'll have a really nice torque curve.

Mainly I just wanna see it done, and I think you're the man for the job!

Nice input, will look into that. Those engines cost around $7000 over here so within range!

I also put some feelers out for a AJP V8 engine, darn cheap and a engine with a special sound to it!

He Kees how have you been! Have not seen you in a while!

Heads up with beamer engines the front sump ones tend to get hard, i had a m60 b40 in mine (s130) and there was no easy way arround the front sump since it has scavanger pumps in the sump. Big plus with a s30 is that the crossmember sits further foreward so a mid sump of bmw engine might work.

But why not a AMG or audi S v8 ?

Since i run a 406 v8 in my zxr (that you will see on the tracks more next year) and i have to stick to l28 in my YTTC build.. ill plant a seed of something that has haunted me for a while.. why not a diesel twin turbo ;) TONS of torque and good power! I have driven a Diesel track car a year back .. and since than it has been hauting me ;)

However the cheapest thing is an RB.. The sexy thing to do is Merc or Audi or Beamer i guess

Edited by frank280zx

Sorry guys, but forgot the mention I do NOT want a V8 engine expect a V8 from a TVR. Don't really like the sounds of V8 engines in a japanese sportscar...... no offence!

American V8s provide a LOT of power and performance for the money. Don't be one sided. Overhead cam engines have more parts to fail than American Pushrod V8s and have to be pushed to high RPMs and boosted to make good power. Proper transmission and rear end gearing integrated with the engine power band is important.

RB26DETT best performance japanese engine period. Great after market help and part availability. staying nissan and amazing sound. A true race bred engine with numerous wins under its belt on the professional circuit. I'd pick an rb26 over any 2jz any day. just my thought

I would go for a v6 turbo of some sort. I seem to have developed a fasination for VR6 vw engines lately. One out of a r32 with boost would be a lot of fun and they sound quite wicked. You can mount them north south with the right bell housing....might even get it to mate up to a 944 transaxel. I guess the only other north west mounted v6's in europe come from merc's. Dont know much about them but a turbo would sure wake it up!

Douglas

RB26DETT best performance japanese engine period. Great after market help and part availability. staying nissan and amazing sound. A true race bred engine with numerous wins under its belt on the professional circuit. I'd pick an rb26 over any 2jz any day. just my thought

Remember, on HybridZ there is no "best."

A small handful of American V8s provide a LOT of power and performance for the money. Don't be one sided. Overhead cam engines have more parts to fail than American Pushrod V8s and have to be pushed to high RPMs and boosted to make good power. Proper transmission and rear end gearing integrated with the engine power band is important.

I fixed that for you.

The few years I worked at a performance shop, we had a lot more bent American pushrods than broken OHC motors. We also had a lot more domestic vehicles, but even still...

I'm taking bets on how many more posts are made here before I shed this thread. I'm guessing 1.

What is your objection to cause shredding of this thread? People expressing themselves shows their level of knowledge and experience. So long as their is no nastiness. Please reply John.