RETRO-SPEC unique Carbon Fiber products Z

RETRO-SPEC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

No postings here in quite a while, but wondering if anyone else has tried to order their products and had trouble? I ordered a hood in November, received a picture of completed hood on 1 April with a message saying they were shipping it (perhaps an April Fools joke). I never received tracking info and they have stopped responding to emails.

I've done business with several hobbyists over the years, it's often the only source for unique Datsun products and services. Nearly every one of them conducted themselves in an honest and reliable manner. I can think of only two that I had any issues with and neither of them were anything to the extent of this transaction. If Retro-Spec conducts themselves with neither honesty or integrity, I don't think it's a reflection on all or even most hobbyist trying to do business. I thought these guys had started doing legit business, but I fear I was wrong. Then again, perhaps there is a shortage on packing material where they are and they forgot the password to their email system.

I know that a certain someone (name not mentioned) who was involved with another fiberglass and carbon fiber operation prior to this company, used to build the parts in Ensenada, Baja California and communication was spotty at best. I do know from first hand experience that when I go down to my camper an hour or so south of Ensenada to camp and surf, the internet service is very fickle and many times running on 3G when you get it. I am not saying for certain this is the complete problem as it takes motivation as well to stay in touch. Again, just throwing out the situation from what I remember many years ago and the parts may very well not be made in Mexico now under this new company.  

For what it's worth they are posting on Facebook regularly. I sent him a couple more emails, not flaming him, but asking why he wasn't responding. Noticed on his Facebook page that days after telling me my hood was being boxed up he offered offered one just like it for sale, but with blemishes. Since I am forced to hypothesis what is going on, I would guess my hood had issues and rather then be up front with me (I probably would have taken it as is) he sold it and started ignoring my messages. I even made a post on his Facebook page asking what was going on, but the post isn't there. Really a shame as I wanted to order a number of other components, but it looks like I am more likely to have my money taken. Admins on here should be aware that this vendor is having serious problems.

I did receive a refund, thanks to Pay Pal. Not even an apology or explanation from Paulo. People like this shouldn't be allowed to present themselves as vendors. I see people on Facebook requesting parts for their Z cars on Retro-Specs page and I wish there was a way to warn them.

You can report them to the Better Business Bureau if they are a licensed business.

Hybridz used to have some things about Vendors and how they would deal with the bad ones.  But the Rules and Guidelines aren't available anymore.  

Thought I would post a follow up. After Pay Pal extracted the refund, Paulo contacted me over the weekend and said he had the part complete and ready to ship. I  agreed to purchase it, but before he cold send me an invoice the fire happened. Although my experience wasn't the smoothest, I hope everything works out for him. As far as I know, he was the only person offering many of the composite parts he advertised.