HybridZ

RETRO-SPEC unique Carbon Fiber products Z

RETRO-SPEC

Guest anwar

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys!

We are currently between Z cars, hope to bring in the next Z to the shop to work on soon, but rest assured we will take in to consideration your ideas. Once we have some progress on this, we will post any updates. Thanks!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest anwar

Anwar,

Firstly top job on actually getting parts made and shipped with happy customers, there have been far too many 'we're going to make this' and it never happens for various reasons, props for just doing it with no fanfare. A few questions for you.

Are the pieces made with UV resistant resin/lacquered to be UV resistant?

I'm assuming all the CF pieces are fibreglass matting backed with 2-3 sheets of CF on top? Or are they exclusively CF sheet?

If you publish weights of finished parts you'll really have some fans :)

Ta

James

Thanks James, we appreciate the comment!

Answering your question, we use UV resistant materials for our products, our CF parts have a hand laid layer of CF fabric with fiberglass backing, we can also make exclusive ALL CF parts (as special order). I don't have the exact figures regarding weight but I can asure you there is a considerable weight difference between a CF or Fiberglass part vs. it's OEM metal version, specially if it's a large part. And of course, you would also be getting rid of any rust issues if you replace the OEM metal part with fiberglass or CF product.

Some pillar pods would be awesome to have for the S30 that actually fit the pillar. Maybe a early 71' center console would be awesome too, or maybe a carbon fiber dash cap. If posable maybe some exterior chrome pieces made into carbon fiber.

Oh wondering are you able to have them into a low gloss or maybe a matte finish? Thanks.

Edited by chaos

Guest anwar

Any chance of you guys making cf fenders for S30's and if not is that something you guys can do as one off?

Yes, we could start this project, of course we would first need get our hands on a new S30 since we are currently between cars. Once that is covered we would be organizing a group buy for the CF fenders.

Some pillar pods would be awesome to have for the S30 that actually fit the pillar. Maybe a early 71' center console would be awesome too, or maybe a carbon fiber dash cap. If posable maybe some exterior chrome pieces made into carbon fiber.

Oh wondering are you able to have them into a low gloss or maybe a matte finish? Thanks.

Yes, we can have parts ready in low gloss finish.

Thanks for the input, I'll make sure to share this info. with production team to see what we can do.

• 5 weeks later...

any updates on new parts?

Some projects are still under development, we will be posting here any updates on any new part as soon as it's available.

Thanks!

^^ that blue Z is hot!!

^ +1 :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cloudysquall_88

I just wanted to say I really appreciate the fact that retro-spec is putting the effort into fabricating these awesome carbon fiber parts. It's like a dream come true for young z owners who want to modernize their baby.

Hey guys, got a couple of requests, I found these on Yahoo Auctions Japan since I'm stationed over here and wanted to know if you guys could reproduce these:

This one should be a easy, but is weirdly very hard to find. A FRP or CF 280Z hood for those of us (including myself) would like to have the hood vents.

YAJ frp 280z vented hood

Then to accompany that hood, FRP or CF vents that are of a different style the OEM vents.

YAJ frp hood vents

And lastly, vented inspection lids that're different from the louvered one's I've seen. I think these are definitely a nice addition.

Yep you guessed it, YAJ frp vented inspection lids

Received both a cowling and 240z tail light surrounds today in fibreglass, UNBELIEVABLE quality. Shipping took a while but only because there was a defect in the cowling - so the fabricators made a new one from scratch rather than try send a repaired part.

I have to hand it to Anwar, his people KNOW what they are doing, they really do. Will be buying from again as soon as the right parts are made!

Edited by camerashy

Looking forward to seeing some pics. What about Scarab style louvered hoods? In response to my post above, I think more people may be interested in maybe the Scarab style hoods for a cleaner look, or maybe a variation of it that has 2 rows of louvers on each side.

Just throwing an idea out there, I really want some kind of lightweight vented option.

Edit: Stole this picture from a FS car on here. I LOVE this hood and louvered inspection lid look. I already have louvered lids, but it'd be a dream come true to have a louvered lightweight hood.

hpim0936l.jpg

Edited by LoneStarS30Z

I'll get some photos up within the next few hours or so, along with weights :)

Okay, I ordered the plain FRP 240z tail light surrounds and the cowling that sits behind the bonnet. I'm not a carbon *****, so FRP was fine for me.

The tail light surrounds are incredibly well made, thin - 1.5 to 3mm thick depending which part of the piece is being looked at. Very uniform, stiff, no thin spots.

As for weight...well one surround is 157 grams! So for both left and right you're looking about 315 grams.

pa120052.jpg

pa120053.jpg

pa120054.jpg

pa120055.jpg

pa120057.jpg

The last photo is of the back of the piece.

Now for the cowl piece - again, FRP, weighs in at 1290 grams, not sure how much lighter than the steel piece it is, but it is certainly lighter!

pa120058.jpg

pa120059vw.jpg

pa120060.jpg

pa120061.jpg

Back side of the piece

pa120062.jpg

pa120063.jpg

Very stiff piece, with all the proper molding points molded i.e. the tabs that sit beneath the screen, the same goes for the lip that sits under the lip of the bonnet, all holes drilled. You can see in the photos where they've taken the time to grind back the fibreglass to form the vents properly. The odd pin hole in the paint, but it's not meant to be a final paint layer, just helps as a stopper. Very happy with the pieces!

Hope this helps some of you if you're unsure, all I can say is PLEASE show some interest so Retrospec will do some fibreglass fenders!

Edited by camerashy