HybridZ

R200 problems after replacing pinion seal

AleksS30

I recently swapped in a 3.90 R200 into my 240z and to my surprise it was very smooth and quiet. I did notice the pinion seal leaking quite badly so I decided to replace it. I searched and read multiple posts regarding the pinion nut torque because I was nervous about the bearing preload. I decided to follow the fsm and torque it to 140ft/lbs. Before I took the nut off I marked the nut and the pinion shaft so I can use that as reference when I re-install the nut. I torqued the nut to 140ft/lbs and noticed that the mark i put on the nut was about a 1/4 turn past the mark on the pinion shaft (1/4 turn tighter than it was originally). Now the issue I have is that I'm getting a humming sound from the rear end. It sounds just like a bad wheel bearing. I'm assuming this has to do something with the pinion nut being a 1/4 turn too tight? My understanding it that these diff's do not use a crush sleeve to set pinion preload? I'm not too sure what to do from here...replace pinion bearings?

any help would be appreciated.