HybridZ

78' gas tank in 75' ?

bfg

I realize the 78' tanks are taller due to the space saver spare tire where as my 75' 280z has the full size spare. I've done some searching and found lots of people putting 280 tanks into 240s but not much regarding 280z interchanging.

I dropped my tank earlier today and somehow thought everything was going to be alright when it came time to look inside... I was wrong. The tank was dented extensively from its little cliff dive adventure when I first bought it (I'll let you go searching for the pictures) but it held gas for two years without issue, just a couple (or 12) inline fuel filters to keep the rust at bay.

Now that I know what's inside I'm not sure it's worth saving. I have a friend not too far from me who has a 78' tank in good condition that he offered to sell a while back. My plan would be to shorten my spare tire well by cutting a section out and welding it back together like sectioning a strut. My question is if there is any reason this wouldn't work.

I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks