HybridZ

John's Cars,Inc. V8 Convrsion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, i have been reading alot of the other posts for long time now but this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone here has used the Johns Car V8 converion kit? Is it a copy of the JTR kit? Is this kit any good compared to the JTR one? If you have not heard of this kit, this is the site.

http://www.johnscars.com/zcar/zcar.htm

THanks for any help that you guys give.

Using the search function on this forum, you'll get a ton of info about the comparo between John's cars, MSA, "Scarab", and JTR.

The JTR kit and John's Cars kit are not even close to being the same. I will argue 'till my head turns blue that JTR is the 'superior' kit by far. If you don't like the low price of the JTR kit or the 'do-it-yourself' plans in the JTR book, the MSA kit is a decent alternative IMO.

My main gripe about the John's Cars kit is that it does not place the engine as far back as the JTR kit. That majority of the guys in the forum use JTR or Scarab-style kits. Do a search and you will find the JTR kit appears to be the favorite.

Many of the guys that have Scarab conversions are very happy with their cars and I don't berate them for having them. I would be hard pressed to ever change over a decently converted Scarab-style car, but IF I was starting from scratch, the JTR kit is the way to go. Why? Well, it is hard to argue with the engine placement (further back) and better weight distribution (closer to 50/50) of the JTR conversion. Plus, JTR makes a decent book about the install. HTH.

Davy

Agree with Davy. Goto www.jagsthatrun.com and order their Z book. Read it a few times till nearly memorized and then plunge in. It's not really a hard swap and damn near drops in if you follow their directions. I'm VERY happy with everything I got from JTR - mount plates, trans mount, rad mount. The rest I did myself - no biggie.