HybridZ

T5 Bell Housing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was in the process of installing a T5 transmissiom (from a 97 Firebird 350) on to my Chevy 350 engine, when I noticed that the lower portion of the bell housing would not go over the lower portion of the flywheel. The flywheel hung over the bell housing interior by 1/4 inch. Also, the bell housing would not accommodate the started completely.

Has anyone had this problem? Does any one know if there is another bell housing that would fit this application or if there is a universal bell housing that would work?

Guest Anonymous

How many teeth on the flywheel? It sounds like a 168 tooth flywheel that won't fit in your bellhousing as maybe it was designed for a 152 tooth flywheel. GM made both. Did the flywheel/bellhousing/transmission supposedly come from the same camaro/firebird or did you have a flywheel laying around? The starters are different depending on how many teeth and only some of them will work on the Z's frame. Some of the aftermarket gear reduction starters have bolt holes to accomodate both flywheels. The JTR manual shows like 8 different starters, some fit, some don't. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Ray:

It sounds like you have a truck or old style flywheel. The one you need is the smaller on used with the 10.5" clutch's. You do have the belhousing off a V8 T5 not a V6???

Ray,

Thanks for replying. I found out today that I need to use a bell housing from a 1984 to a 1992 Camaro. The 1997 bell housing is too small to fit. I think I can find one at a scrap yard in Marietta. Thanks for your help.

C RAY

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

How many teeth on the flywheel? It sounds like a 168 tooth flywheel that won't fit in your bellhousing as maybe it was designed for a 152 tooth flywheel. GM made both. Did the flywheel/bellhousing/transmission supposedly come from the same camaro/firebird or did you have a flywheel laying around? The starters are different depending on how many teeth and only some of them will work on the Z's frame. Some of the aftermarket gear reduction starters have bolt holes to accomodate both flywheels. The JTR manual shows like 8 different starters, some fit, some don't. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Regards,

Lone

Lone,

I found out today that I need to use a bell housing from a 1984 to a 1992 Camaro. The 1997 Firebird bell housing will not work with the older 350's. I think I can find it in one of the scrap yards in Marietta. Thank you for your help.

Best regards and Merry Christmas,

C RAY

770-429-1728

Moses if you are going to get one get a 84 to 92(82 and 83 are different) While you are at it you may want to get all the clutch stuff. Also the 4.3 v6-S10 stuff is similar take a look.

Lone is right on the flywheel make sure you have the smaller one with the correct starter. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

Ray, Lonehdrider,

You were both right. I counted the teeth on the flywheel and it is a 168 tooth flywheel. I had purchased the engine From a local engine builder and had requested a 153 tooth flywheel. I had trusted his ability to do the job right. The 168 tooth flywheel will not work in the Datsun conversion. I will go back to him this week to get the correct flywheel. Thank you very much for your help. I will let you know how it works out.

Regards,

Moses