HybridZ

CV angles

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have run into a little bit of a wall with my rear end setup. I want to narrow the rear by 2 inches on each side but I am very concerned with the angles the CV joints would have to travel through with the shortness in swing. I figure the distance between joints would be about 10" and figuring a 15 degree deflection it only gives me 2" in bump and 2" in rebound before the angles turn the joints into sacrificial weak links. I don't want to give up my IRS and will sooner bond on excessive fender flairs before giving up my ideas. Is this a moot concern or should I start thinking of other ways to do this? HHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

I really don't think this will be a problem if you use a decent size CV. Look at alot of the newer 4X4 pickups. They all run angles greater than 15 degrees stock and alot more weight and gearing then we would be able to get in a Z. Most if not all of them turn all the time, no lockout hubs. The life of the CV's seems very good, two of the guys I work with have early 90's chev pu's with lift kits which puts them at even more of an angle and no CV problems after 150k this way.

Good luck.