HybridZ

260Z project

Hey guys, this is a great forum and you all have some really nice Z cars. This is not my first Z, when I was a teenager I went through about 5 Zs, I am now 39 years old and wanted to feel young again so I bid on this 260 on eBay and ended up winning the auction for $400! I live in northern Canada Nunavut but am moving down to Ottawa in a couple months. I mention this because Nunavut is way up north whare the Inuit live and no sports cars exist. lol

I wanted a 2+2 because I now have a son who is 3 years old, I planed a trip from LA to Ottawa with my wife and son, I know some think the 2+2s are ugly and so did I until I aged a bit and now I just love the lines on the 2+2. I had it towed to a shop in Huntington Beach, CA. Turned out that I found one of the best shops in the country to fix up my new toy, ALT Z. The guy who sold it to me was the original owner, he told me he was getting too old for a sports car. He had been told the block was cracked so he never bothered spending the money at the Nissan shop that he had always used to maintain it! This made me think maybe its not the block, sure enough it turned out to be just a blown head gasket, the shop had recomended I rebuild the motor but the original owner had ashured me that he didnt overheat the motor when the coolent leak had started so I had the shop put a rebuilt head on. The car runs perfect now and didnt cost me much to fix. I won some nice original seats, carpet and a few other parts on ebay and had them all sent to the shop to be installed. Six months later Tony had it all ready for the long trip across the US so we flew out to LA and drove across the country taking our time and enjoyed Vegas and many other cool places. The car made it the entire trip with absolutly no problems. Here are some pics of the trip, I am planning on doing the body this winter, I cant decide on keeping it stock or just going with plastic a airdame and loosing the bumpers all together?

I will keep you all posted as I progress.

I tried posting some cool pics but I have somehow make them smaller.

Jay

892c_3_thumb.jpg

Good to have another Commonwealth member!

That was a bargain Z. In your situation the 2+2 makes good sense. I have a couple of 2-seaters - 260Z and 300ZX, but I bought a 2+2 300ZX as well, so I can take the kids for a spin now and again. The 2-seaters have become 'toys' but the 2+2 is almost a daily driver and very practical.

Buying a car in that condition at that price sure leaves a heck of a budget for improvements. I would support you idea to remove BOTH bumpers if you can do so legally. I have a shaved rear on my coupe and it looks clean.

<a href=rsidend6.th.jpg' alt='rsidend6.th.jpg'>

Cheers from Downunder.

Thanks Yellazed, I really like the old school skinny bumpers from the 240 and early 260s, does anyone sell new or rebuilt bumbers with all the rubber and proper struts? if not I think I will just go with this http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7AD1/50-1409 airdame, no side skirts as I find them ugly and usless and no rear skirt as that too is ugly, might as well just close up the bumper holes and trim the fat in the rear. I have a set of the real fender mounter mirrors from Japan and was thinking of adding fender flairs to get the classic look I am looking for. Also, whare can I get stainless fender flairs?

thanks

Jay

I agree with you about sideskirts. That bar and a smooth tail would work.

It wouldn't need a bumper, as it has a hint of a bar moulded in already. Re flares: I'm ambivalent about them. Sometimes I find myself wanting ZG 'glass ones, other times I don't. The Stainless style is a bit loud for me. We see Mercs and Bimmers over here wearing them, but I'm not a fan.

My Z (Zed) is well a modified Hybrid, so "original" is quite irrelevent for me. Re mirrors: I have a pair of light polished alloy 'Downton' bullet mirrors I will fit to replace the cumbersome CRX mirrors on it atm. The ugly stock side repeaters will go in favour of some MX-5 (Miata) round repeaters further back in the 'modern' position.

Now that you have been bitten by the bug you will be like the rest of us, constantly 'improving' your pride and joy. Just be prepared for some outspoken criticism from some quarters no matter what you do, or say you intend to do. We have all developed fairly thick hides by now.

All the best,

Wal F