HybridZ

S30/2JZ/R154/R230 questions....

Kurai

Hey so I have been floating around on the forum here for awhile and am trying to gather information on the set-up I wanna run on my 73 S30.

Like the topic states I wanna run a 2JZ-R154-R230 setup but I know next to nothing about RWD set-ups (this is MY first RWD car that I have owned) and I am trying to figure out how to get the R230 setup all together I get that I will need a Custom Axle, and have the Beta R230 mounting kit added to the list of things i need, but I am getting confused on what exactly I need as far as shafts go and all the applicable adapters....

Some of the info I find is either from years ago and there are companies selling the parts now / or Im very confused on what exactly i need since different ppl take different approaches to doing it.

So any help you guys can provide would help alot thanks.

my thoughts.

im planning to run the 2jz na-t, r154 but with r200 long nose+z31 turbo cv shafts.

i originally intended to run the r200 q45 lsd diff (similar housing as r230) with the 6bolt flange outsides and moser axles with 6bolt mm axle flange adapters. i went the long nose route for these reasons. having to make the mounts or buy the kit for 500 and axles for 600 and flanges for another $$$ was way up in the 1G's easy. one thing about this setup is it's a bit over kill if you do not intend on running over 600hp. keep in mind basic 400hp s30 chassis is retarded fast and will do easy 11's. after all these parts invested, if you search these forums, the weak link now becomes the stub axle shafts. that being said, your going to probably end up coughing another 500 something for the 27 spline billet stubs. now your rear end is bullet proof. with how many hp after how much cash?? i know its good for extra insurance for your rear end but the regular r200 long nose has been proven and has sooo many more gear ratio's to choose from and easy mount in with parts availability from local wrecking yards.

i plan to run 500hp(max no more than 600hp freeway) daily but not in every corner on constant launch. im using the r200 longnose with the 3.54 gears and z31 300zxt turbo half shafts plus the mm axle flange adapters, all for around 500.00. you can seriously always add a lsd for 500-700 and still save compare to the r230 setup. i thought for almost 1/2 year and searching before i decided to go with my basic setup. its enough to handle 500hp. if your mainly looking at this setup because its lsd and is the strongest diff you can get for the s30, its not really necessary and there are other options. but if you have the cash, who wouldnt want a bullet proof rear end? i would. lol.

anyways, back to your question. parts you will need....

1.) 4 cv shafts from q45 (91-94? 6 bolt one) at junk yard. because you need the inner 6 bolts to go on the moser axles both ends.

2.) 6 bolt axle flange adapters from modernmotorsports, throw in some moser alxes while your at it. 1000.00 cough cough.

3.) r230 rear diff mount kit from modernmotorsport. 450.00? dont recall beta making one.

4.) this... http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/25054-r230-axle-assembly-a-pictoral-review/

5.) then this... http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/mm_gallery.php?album=2008+March+Proto+Q45+R200+Mounting+Proven+Brian+G/

Damn that is alot of very good info.....Oh and you are right it was Modern not Beta sorry, So IYHO do you think the R200 can handle up to 700whp in a nice gear ratio that will allow the legs to stretch a little? Im just looking for a reliable setup that can handle the power.

What kinda LSD do they offer for the R200?

Hmm so given your info and research what would be a solid R200 setup? (Sorry for the change of subject but I have been researching the R230 and dont know much about the R200 at all) I would like a Quaife LSD if possible.

Hey also the Q45 shafts (if i even need them for a R200 setup) can they be bought anywhere new? Sorry to be a burden with all this seems like there are alot of options out there for the S30 lol. I am just trying to get a solid list together of what I need. lol Gonna be a monster build.

Definately gonna save all those links you gave me, I have never dealt with RWD drivetrain componants so alot of this is a learning experiance for me.

no problemo. my take on.....if your really looking for 700hp, your definitely going to want to go all out with the r230 set up to be on the safe side. as far i know, the r230 is the strongest independent rear suspension out the nissan/datsun family vehicles. the longnose r200 have seen those hp numbers as shown in some of these threads. but me personally, i would not rely on it and that is max. however, i seen guys on here with the long nose r200 setup and z31 turbo cv shafts pulling nice high hp numbers. again, the weak spot becomes the factory stub axles. as far as a solid r200 longnose swap goes, i think the only thing im missing is the mm billet stub axles and a nice proven lsd. that should make it 600hp hopefully safely(highway), i hope! im not running yet so i cant say for sure. one person lucky doesnt mean its proven IMO. i keep saying longnose because the q45 is identical to the r230 but consider a shortnose r200 so there wont be any confusion. i am almost positive that as you collect info and links for your build, you are going to find that 700hp is kinda crazy for the s30 on streets, transmission plan will change(r154 at 700 is stretching), rear end will change, turbo size will change(lag), and eventually youll find yourself going smaller on things and making it more useful and reliable and enjoyable on the streets. a 700hp z is stupid outta control fast on the streets so plan what you want to do because if you want to enjoy it as much as possible and drive it as much as possible and show it off as much as possible (like me) and idle perfectly at a stoplight and still bash 95% of cars on the streets and get 25-27 MPG under boost but leave cars on the freeway like their in neutral position, stay in the mid range build because 500-600hp is down right dangerous in a s30 and reliable from a 2jz. with the r154 at 700hp, im almost positive you will get smoke on the streets everytime unless you plan on running 26x10" slicks daily because of traction issues however you will rip the crap out of the other on the freeway at higher speeds. zgad on here does 9's with 700hp range 2jz and he's on gm auto trans so no shifting and side bashing like a manual would. but in a 5spd, its a whole different story. your car will change directions in the first 3 gears like its on a killing spree. i know the thought of it sounds like fun, but it makes it risky on streets. the point is, it all comes to making sure you have the best parts/swaps to back up the car moving forward and coming to a stop. i say if your going to build a monster, and plan to only drive it sometimes(track) and weekend, go for it. it takes more than you would think to make it all come together. brakes, fuel supply, tuning, cage, $$$ etc. me, i want to enjoy my car as much as i can due to all the time i put into it, still kick ass, and can cruise out of town and back reliably because then, its just another lexus while out of boost.

all you need from the q45 axles are really just the inner 6 bolt flanges(4 total) and internals, bearings etc. the shaft itself is not being used as you will be using custom moser axles availible through modernmotorsport with the correct length. the 6bolt will be assy. on both ends of the shaft like the link i posted. you only want junk ones, trust me on this, not new or reman's as you will be tearing it apart anyways. go to junk and take 4 axles out, take apart inner 6 bolts from two and remove outter joint on other two axles, throw all into bag with two cv shafts with 6 bolt flanges on each end and pay for the price of two leaving with as total of 4 6bolt flanges. if anyone ask why you buying busted axles, explain your rear end swap in every little detail and one would roll eyes and try to get you outta there asap. pm me if you need any info as i been collecting info and reading religiously for the past year as im doing the same swap. if you really want a vicious lsd r200 q45 diff, let me know. i have one sitting in my garage with 130k from a 94 q45. i went with a more basic swap so this one is just sitting.

Have you looked into theTechno Toy Tuning setup?

It'll allow you to use the diff, axles, hubs, calipers and e-brake from the donor Nissan car (240SXs, Skylines, Q45, Z32 NA, or Z32TT).

Since you're thinking of going the R230 route, the Z32TT hubs are stronger (31 spline) than the 280Z stub axles (only 27 spline). You can source them at the junkyard for pretty cheap, and the Q45 shares the same hub as the Z32TT, making it even easier to get replacements. No need to get stronger stub axles or CV adapters like in the other kits.

The rear CV axles are also the same between the Q45 and Z32TT where only the length of the center axles may differ slightly...this doesn't matter as TTT has replacement centers in the correct length for the Zs. You send them your pair of axles and they take them apart and install the new centers.

Where are you located? I have an R230 and some other parts if you're interested.

Edited by mrcheeze36

Thanks for the info lol once again I am weighting my options and like you have said the more I read and learn the more subtle i think the build is gonna become.

I do plan to go pretty all out on the build as far as supporting mods go (fuel suspension etc etc) but want something that is reliable and safe to drive on the streets....so between 500-600 is fine by me.

Im located in Savannah, GA but am currently in Afghanistan finishing up a tour here so looking to start dropping llarge amounts of money for the build around Feb. next year. Just trying to do all my research now.

I will have to find some decent junkyards as well as most around Savannah have been raided for all they are worth lol. and am interested in the parts you guys have (once I pick one or the other lol) if you are gonna have them when im ready to buy all this stuff.