HybridZ

327 specs

I came across a a 327 on a frame that the guy is interested in giving me. I dont know anything about the motor nor what the frame goes on. All I know is that the block and heads are chevy orange(factory), and it has that old black circle air box above the carb with a single leg kicked out to get air. This makes me believe its fairly old.

Anyone have a quick suggestion of years that I should avoid with a 327? Im going to have to search the frame for markings to find more info....

The 327 is 4.0" bore x 3.25" stroke, using the same external dimensions as all sbc's. They were produced from the early 60's thru 68. In 69 the stroke was increased and they became 350's. The 68's were large journal, all the previous ones were small journal. All of them are fine engines, and will do you a nice job if that's what you want to build. On the pad at the front of the pass side cylinder bank there should be some identification. The three letter suffix there will tell you a lot about the original application. Find the suffix and then go to mortec.com or nastyz28.com and look it up. The casting number on the block, generally located at the rear of the drivers side head, can also give some info.

jt

Edited by jt1

old heads are crap compared to the new heads out there.

The best thing about a 327 is the 4 inch bore block which can be used to build a 350 or 383.

I would keep the 327 complete and sell it to a "327 lover", then buy a complete 96 to 99 350 vortec truck engine with factory roller cam.

There is nothing magical about a 327. A 350 or 383 will make more power.

old heads are crap compared to the new heads out there.

The best thing about a 327 is the 4 inch bore block which can be used to build a 350 or 383.

I would keep the 327 complete and sell it to a "327 lover", then buy a complete 96 to 99 350 vortec truck engine with factory roller cam.

There is nothing magical about a 327. A 350 or 383 will make more power.

Pyro is right in his recommendation of a 96 to 99 vortec truck engine. The vortec block is of the generation wherein CNC machining has been used. The castings are likely more consistent than earlier blocks and the lifter bores are taller for better alignment/retention of the lifters during running. All around a much better engine block. Bore it .030 over and get a cast 3.75" stroker crank, 6" rods and SRP Pro pistons and you have a good bottom end. Use AFR heads, a good cam and appropriate induction system and you have a VERY good engine.