HybridZ

spark and fuel but no start

akeboshi

hello,

i am trying to time the l28 so it will be ready for first start up but something funny is happening. i cant see the timing marks if i hook the timing light up to #1 cylinder but if i hook the light up to #6 i see a solid 5 degrees of advance. ive checked that the engine is at tdc on the compression stroke (removed spark plug and cranked slowly till i felt air come out and stopped at the 0 mark on the pulley, as well as look at the lobes on the cam and the rotor on the dizzy is pointing to #1 cylinder) but i cant seem to figure out why this is happening? do i have the dizzy backwards? i thought i lined up the shaft dot with the dot on the oil pump but i will check again. can anyone help me out? im running a 77 280z dizzy locked out and using direct coil control on ms2 v3 pcb. i have spark and fuel but it doesnt even sputter. what gives?

marcus

Have you used the timing light to check the timing and then checked it with megasquirt yet?. Or is that the step your trying now?. The balancer may have spun. Check that first.

Are your plugs fuel fouled?.

the plugs are new. i poped the fuses for the injectors without noticing..... it wants to start up now and it hits on a few cylinders but after a few rotations its like it hits a wall and stops, kind of like one of the cylinders fired before it was retarded alot. there has to be something wrong as i cant see the mark at all on tdc #1 cylinder. i checked the pulley, it looks fine. i dropped the oil pump to check the drive spindle also.

I don't know what you have set-up on your megasquirt so I am just going to go from the basics.

I asked about the balancer because they are known to spin which will cause your timing marks to not show up as you have stated.

Is your required fuel set up properly?. You can increase or decrease it.

Are all the injectors spraying fuel?.

Do you have spark to all the spark plugs?.

Have you tried sparying starting fluid in the intake boot then starting the engine?.

I don't know what you have set-up on your megasquirt so I am just going to go from the basics.

I asked about the balancer because they are known to spin which will cause your timing marks to not show up as you have stated.

Is your required fuel set up properly?. You can increase or decrease it.

Are all the injectors spraying fuel?.

Do you have spark to all the spark plugs?.

Have you tried sparying starting fluid in the intake boot then starting the engine?.

i got it! i havent checked the timing again but i guess i didnt quite line up the dizzy spindle when i reinstalled it. by bad.... but she runs, after about 3 or 4 months of wiring nad headaches from wiring mistakes.... thanks for helping me out so fast!

marcus