HybridZ

not firing in #1 cylinder

akeboshi

hello

i finally have the ms2 280z running but it has been sounding like its missing on a cylinder or two. upon further investigation i have found that #1 cylinder has not been firing. its really wierd because i have good spark and fuel injector is also good. i tested it before i replaced the one that i thought was frozen. if i have good spark and fuel then why dont i have combustion? the engine is rebuilt and has not even been broken in yet. i have not tested that cylinder for good compression (i dont have a compression tester) but on the compression stroke with the plug removed i get a big whoosh of air. i put an led to the pigtail and also can confirm that its getting a pulse. wtf?

marcus

Are you sure the injector is spraying fuel?. You can check to hear if the injector sounds like the others by using a screw driver and placing it on the injector as the engine is running. You put your ear on the handle end of the screw driver. Did you check spark at the spark plug or at the end of the plug wire?.

yes i checked the injector, i can hear it chattering and i know it sprays because i hooked it up to a water meth pump and pulsed it a few times. i pulled the plug out and i can see the spark, i had it laying on the fender actually and it shot out a 6 inch blue spark (cool). i have been having trouble with the exhaust rocker, ill check it in the moring. it fell off a couple times already, im gonna replace it soon.

well this thread is over. i compression checked all the cylinders, @1 is ZERO, and the rest were 70. is all this normal (except #1) on a newly rebuilt engine with a large cam?

marcus

Bummer.

You could have a bent valve, a bad valve seat, or one of the valves on cylinder #1 slipped its retainers.

You can check the last one without pulling the head. Not so for the other two.