HybridZ

TT Chevy engine radiator modification

This video shows the final product after I moved the radiator in front of the radiator support. Those of you who are familiar with the appearance of my Z's engine bay, know there was a hose that ran from the thermostat housing to the radiator. Unfortunately, it was located above and between the intakes of my turbos. So I hacked off the thermostat housing from my manifold and had a couple of 12 AN bungs welded to the cylinder heads' water outlets. Then the attached lines were routed to the rear and side of the engine bay, under the fender and back into the relocated radiator. This provides more room for the turbos to breathe......

What radiator are you using and how difficult was mounting it up there? I was planning on installing the radiator from JTR using their mounting brackets, but your setup looks much cleaner.

The normal JTR radiator installation for Chevy engines in a Z leaves plenty of room in the engine compartment. But I also have turbos in front of my engine and that's why I made this change.

I'm using a standard Arizona Z Car radiator for v8 Z's. However, this is a lot more work than what you may want to do. If you duplicate my system, you must seal off the standard upper inlet, lower the outlet to pass under the radiator support, weld on inlets for the radiator, remove the thermostat housing from the intake manifold, weld on bungs for the intake manifold coolant outlets,run coolant lines, and include a radiator fill location.

The good thing with this system is that the radiator filler is higher than the radiator.

Hanns, it's probably just the video, but the hoses look smaller than what would be standard for radiator hoses? is that correct? I am wondering what the size of the hose is that runs under the fender/wheel well. My real question is, "If the hoses are smaller than normal, does the system still cool effectively on the street with that much horsepower?" I'm also wondering what the hottest day is that you have had the car in traffic. I like the clean look of how you did it by the way.

Davy

Hanns, it's probably just the video, but the hoses look smaller than what would be standard for radiator hoses? is that correct? I am wondering what the size of the hose is that runs under the fender/wheel well. My real question is, "If the hoses are smaller than normal, does the system still cool effectively on the street with that much horsepower?" I'm also wondering what the hottest day is that you have had the car in traffic. I like the clean look of how you did it by the way.

Davy

Davy,

There are (2) 12 An braided hoses coming out of the intake manifold and transporting coolant to the radiator. On an 80 degree sunny day it does not exceed 190 while on the street or racing. However, I give most of the credit to the Taurus fan. In a few weeks I will do more racing and cruising and it should be much hotter then. We will see if the system passes the test.

Yes, I really like the way it looks and am hoping it works out.