HybridZ

Door locking mechanism issues, any advice?

Henry

Ok so I'm new here, I've lurked for a while but this is my first post, my 280zx arrived about a fortnight ago and I absolutely love it but I have a couple of issues. My biggest one so far is my passenger door lock, sometimes it unlocks from the inside and sometimes it doesn't. I've taken the interior door panel off to have a look. I had hoped it just needed some lubrication but no, there seems to be some mechanical problem. This will be sort of hard to explain but here goes. The circular doodad I've indicated in the picture seems to move when the exterior or interior door handles are pulled which I think is fine. What isn't fine is when it goes "click" when the door handles are pulled or the interior lock is locked and the the doodad drops down a bit less than half a cm and prevents the interior lock from working.

Seems pretty minor but it's an issue because I can't get the central locking for my alarm installed properly with this broken, not to mention it is very much annoying my girlfriend. This is just another reason for her to hate the car lol. Anyway, has anyone else had this issue? I've searched the forums but haven't found anything similar.

post-20864-064102600 1312272728_thumb.jpg

Ok so I'm new here, I've lurked for a while but this is my first post, my 280zx arrived about a fortnight ago and I absolutely love it but I have a couple of issues. My biggest one so far is my passenger door lock, sometimes it unlocks from the inside and sometimes it doesn't. I've taken the interior door panel off to have a look. I had hoped it just needed some lubrication but no, there seems to be some mechanical problem. This will be sort of hard to explain but here goes. The circular doodad I've indicated in the picture seems to move when the exterior or interior door handles are pulled which I think is fine. What isn't fine is when it goes "click" when the door handles are pulled or the interior lock is locked and the the doodad drops down a bit less than half a cm and prevents the interior lock from working.

Seems pretty minor but it's an issue because I can't get the central locking for my alarm installed properly with this broken, not to mention it is very much annoying my girlfriend. This is just another reason for her to hate the car lol. Anyway, has anyone else had this issue? I've searched the forums but haven't found anything similar.

I had the same issue. Replaced with keyless entry and solved the problem.

I had the same issue. Replaced with keyless entry and solved the problem.

May not be the same thing then, the guys doing the installation of my keyless entry showed me where the problem is and said they couldn't do it until it was fixed. They're only good at electrical stuff though, they tell me their mechanical skills are about on par with my own.

Edited by Henry

The issue on mine was due to the key lock cylinder wearing down over the years and no longer having the ability to push the unlock level all the way, hence it would not unlock from the outside and would jam up the mechanism.

After I installed the keyless entry, the actuator was able to push the levers further and reliably. However, I just chunked the arms from the key cylinder as they were worthless now. I still have the manual unlock for the hatch if the battery ever dies with the car locked.