HybridZ

T56 expert help needed

So I finally got my v8 Z put together and running, and everything seems ok when driving around town. However, I noticed that if I put it in 5th/6th gear, there is a terrible squealing sound coming from up front (not sure on the exact location). The sound starts not when you put it in gear, but when you apply the gas. I noticed that the bellhousing was contacting the transmission tunnel in a spot, so I bent that area back and now there is about 1/2" clearance between the trans and tunnel. I put it in 5th gear under a few conditions after fixing this issue and this is what happened:

1: Doing ~40mph, put it in 5th, no sound

2: Doing ~ 45mph, put it in 5th and stomped the gas, no squeal

3: Doing about 35-40mph later in the evening, after about 5 seconds in 5th, it starts to squeal.

My original theory was that due to the ratio of 5th/6th, shifting into them at low speed was causing a large amount of vibration as the engine got loaded down. I guess this could still be the case (if it's contacting in an area that I don

't see). I do know that the 5th/6th share a synchro, so I fear it may be the transmission.

I rebuilt the tranmission myself, and I guess it's possible I messed something up. I wouldn't know where to start looking though if I tore the trans apart.

Also, if anyone cares, here is a vid of my freshly put together z!:

Edited by matt_w

So I finally got my v8 Z put together and running, and everything seems ok when driving around town. However, I noticed that if I put it in 5th/6th gear, there is a terrible squealing sound coming from up front (not sure on the exact location). The sound starts not when you put it in gear, but when you apply the gas. I noticed that the bellhousing was contacting the transmission tunnel in a spot, so I bent that area back and now there is about 1/2" clearance between the trans and tunnel. I put it in 5th gear under a few conditions after fixing this issue and this is what happened:

1: Doing ~40mph, put it in 5th, no sound

2: Doing ~ 45mph, put it in 5th and stomped the gas, no squeal

3: Doing about 35-40mph later in the evening, after about 5 seconds in 5th, it starts to squeal.

My original theory was that due to the ratio of 5th/6th, shifting into them at low speed was causing a large amount of vibration as the engine got loaded down. I guess this could still be the case (if it's contacting in an area that I don

't see). I do know that the 5th/6th share a synchro, so I fear it may be the transmission.

I rebuilt the tranmission myself, and I guess it's possible I messed something up. I wouldn't know where to start looking though if I tore the trans apart.

Also, if anyone cares, here is a vid of my freshly put together z!:

What RPM is the engine at in 5th gear @ 35 mph? My LS1+T56 has a terrible bog in 6th gear if the RPM is @ 1.5k or lower.

Have you checked for any squeals while the tranny is in neutral? Try running the RPMs up and down while in neutral.

Edited by Blown77Z

I was a little over 2200RPM in 4th before I switched to 5th I think.

I forgot, I also had the car up on jack stands with the engine running and put it in 5th/6th and there was no squealing sound.

There are no squeals or sounds when the tranny is in neutral. Just the normal throwout bearing faint rattling sound.

Edited by matt_w

• 4 weeks later...