HybridZ

Crossmember Modification

The Z's crossmember needed to be modified to allow the new low-profile circle track oil pan to be used. The pan holds 7 quarts and measures only 7" in depth. It is a nice Summit Racing pan with numerous baffles priced under $100.

Mckinney Motorsports trimmed a good portion off the crossmember, boxed it, and welded on a 1/4" skidplate on the bottom for extra reinforcement. For the first time I will now be able to remove the oil pan, when necessary, without having to undo motormounts and jack up the engine for clearance.

med_gallery_639_5_17527.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hanns, it looks like they did a decent job, but it's really difficult to tell from the photos. I assume you looked it over once they were finished and were pleased with the work. My main concern with doing what they did would be the flex in the crossmember when your front end is coming down after being nose up coming out of the hole. I'm just trying to picture in my head what they did and how they could make it as still or stiffer (sure the 1/4 inch plate helps) than the stock crossmember. When I think of a flatter section like that, I immediately think of flex. Again, it's just hard to see the reinforcing they did. Are you ever going to run a strut bar or does that seem like it's unwarranted to do so? Just curious because you haven't run one that I know of from the beginning.

EDIT: after carefully looking at the bottom, it looks like there is a lot more metal there than I first noticed. Maybe flex is a non-issue.

Take care,

Davy

after carefully looking at the bottom, it looks like there is a lot more metal there than I first noticed. Maybe flex is a non-issue.

Davy,

Although Mckinney removed a good portion of the crossmember the addition of the more robust steel all around has strengthened it compared to the thin stock material. Since I use a motor plate to support the engine the crossmember bears much less weight than when the engine was attached to it. Now only the front suspension and steering linkage are supported by it. I'm still trying to control my wheelies at launch and hope it doesn't result in another oil pan crunchability test. If it does happen.....we will see how well the crossmember handles it.

As you pointed out, I have never used a sway bar. The Z launches better at the strip without one and my street cruising is not that aggressive.

But I do thank you for your concern because sometimes I'm too focused on performance to think of safety.

Hanns