HybridZ

New 240z, Help me ID my A/C

Hi Everyone,

I'm still learning the ins and outs of my new '72 240z. Car came with A/C and I would like to know something about it. Does this appear to be the original A/C that was offered from the dealership?

I have a problem with it right now. When I turn on the air, it appears that either the clutch or the compressor itself is locking up. It worked fine for about 15 minutes on the first drive home, then started screeching and then I smelled a burnt rubber smell which I assume was the belt slipping. Any way to check which went out? If it's the clutch, is that replaceable without discharging the system?

240z_ac_01.jpg

240z_ac_09.jpg

240z_ac_1101.jpg

240z_ac_02.jpg

Chances are the compressor is locked up and will need rebuilt. From the looks of it...it also appears to be leaking. Lots of oil around the seals.. If you evacuate, replace the drier and recharge, you might have a catastrophic leak and/or failure somewhere in the system. The York compressor was not particulary efficient, even when new. Best bet might be to redo the entire system including a new/modern compressor, drier, evaporator, hoses, expansion valve, and a better blower motor. Rebuild or replace the fan with a stock 280z clutch fan. Parts and labor will be expensive though. Maybe upwards of $1500-$1900. Unless you do the work yourself. Kits with modern components are availible from MSA and other sources as well. But if you're not building a show car with all stock components and you want cold air in 90 degree heat...you'll have to strongly consider NEW components, CORRECTLY installed and charged.

Chances are the compressor is locked up and will need rebuilt. From the looks of it...it also appears to be leaking. Lots of oil around the seals.. If you evacuate, replace the drier and recharge, you might have a catastrophic leak and/or failure somewhere in the system. The York compressor was not particulary efficient, even when new. Best bet might be to redo the entire system including a new/modern compressor, drier, evaporator, hoses, expansion valve, and a better blower motor. Rebuild or replace the fan with a stock 280z clutch fan. Parts and labor will be expensive though. Maybe upwards of $1500-$1900. Unless you do the work yourself. Kits with modern components are availible from MSA and other sources as well. But if you're not building a show car with all stock components and you want cold air in 90 degree heat...you'll have to strongly consider NEW components, CORRECTLY installed and charged.

The guy I bought it from was a mechanic and said he pressure tested the system and converted it. It was blowing cold and seemed all fine so it must have just been bad timing that the compressor went out. I think I'll look into an upgraded pump and see how that works. Thanks for the tips and ideas.

Edited by dbirdz06

If you are looking to just replace the compressor with a perfect fitting/upgraded replacement a company called Nostalgic Air Parts has a "Datsun 240z/260z/280z compressor upgrade kit"

Looks like it runs $400.00 for compressor, bracket, hoses and belts.

Let me know how this works if you get it. I am in the same boat as you, to either gut the stock system or just upgrade the compressor and use the old condensor/evaporator/blower.

If you are looking to just replace the compressor with a perfect fitting/upgraded replacement a company called Nostalgic Air Parts has a "Datsun 240z/260z/280z compressor upgrade kit"

Looks like it runs $400.00 for compressor, bracket, hoses and belts.

Let me know how this works if you get it. I am in the same boat as you, to either gut the stock system or just upgrade the compressor and use the old condensor/evaporator/blower.

How about YOU do it, and let ME know how it turns out :D