HybridZ

ignition problems Mallory, MSD 6-t box

texis30O

I had na issue with my oil pump leaking so we pulled it to change out the gaskets. In the mean time the f'n gear dropped out of position. We have now put the dizzy back in and the oil pump in over 6 times with it not wanting to fire up. I know it is out of timing. With it set at #1 TDC, the gear put back in place and the oil pump installed it does not want to fire. Blows a fire through the carb. So that tells me I am 180 out of time? Am I correct. I am trying to get this done before I have to pay someone to fix it. Help..... This is on a Turbo Tom set up with a custom Mallory dizzy, MSD 6-t box, and a Mallory coil. The car was running before we pulled the oil pump... S.O.S.

Not exactly. When the piston is at the top the valves can either be closed (compression stroke) or open (end of exhaust stroke, valve overlap). Since the distributor turns at half the crank speed this matters. You have to verify if you are on the compression stroke or exhaust stroke. As an alternate to removing the valve cover; while turn the engine by hand, place a finger over the spark plug hole (for #1). When the compression stroke begins pressure will build up in the cylinder, pushing air past your finger. Stop at the top of this stroke. If you are on the exhaust stroke the exhaust valve is open so no pressure will build up.

Once you verify you are at TDC on the compression stroke, put the oil pump and distributor drive gear back in per factory the instructions and you should be fine.

I got it sorted out last night at about 8:30 after a few hours after work of playing with it. I had Doug from Awsome Z come meet me at the shop. Stand up guy. He came over after his day was done and helped me. He walked me through the issues I was having. We got the timing set up correctly, set the dizzy as well, reinstalled the oil pump. I have to say Doug went out of his way to help when he could have just left me stranded or of had to pay for a tow to his shop, instead he stopped by on his way home and hooked me up. I was 2 teeth off and had the rotor starting at #5 and not #1. Not the last time I will mess things up.... My timing is currently set at 16 deg, but I know there is more in it. I just wanted to get the car on the road.