HybridZ

Cowl Replacement?

zohanisback

Ugg... so my cowl has spots rusted through on it and I can either weld in a new plate and sand it down carefully or buy a new one. I would love a new one not made of metal. Does anyone know of any cowl manufacturers for the 260z? I found a $400 one that's carbon fiber, but I don't want to spend that much? Under $200-$300? Thanks!

Oh yeah, 400 is a bit pricey for that, unless it's actually full carbon (but WHY??). Do you have the link for the one you found? I'm sure they would make you a glass version for much less. There used to be an ebay seller with pretty much every panel there is for the s30 but alas most of these guys went out of business. I see another one now but they don't even have the slots for the heater intake which is like half the work. If I had a mold for that boring piece I'd probably sell them for $200 or less.

Wonder how much shipping would be to the US for that thing. Man I wish I could buy their shell. It keeps me up at nights :P

I'd put that cowl thing on my list of molds to make but I'm super slow at that, too many other projects. I bought the hood mold, but I'm currently working on my own center console mold and others. Again, super slow progress, also I don't have much garage space :/

Oh yeah, that's the same company I saw pop up on ebay. Couldn't hurt to ask them to make you an all glass version at half the price.

Mold making is a whole topic for another day. One which I'm not great at but getting there. I used to work in aerospace composites but I've learned that making the actual part is ten times easier than making the tool. That first article costs you countless hours and you probably don't get out of the hole until the 5th.