HybridZ

Wiring Guidance Needed

I'm on what feels like one of the final steps in my swap, wiring.

I have very limited experience with wiring, I have tried to read up on anything I can find for this specific swap but I just end up confused about what advice applies to my specific scenario.

Here's what I am starting with:

Stock 1977 280Z, electrical seemed solid before I yanked the motor.

Stock 2002 Firebird LS1 with stock harness and PCM.

This harness came with the motor, but DOES NOT include the stock fuse block or relays. (This is the part that I think is confusing me the most.)

Stock Camaro dual cooling fans.

Upgraded fuel pump to Walbro pump.

NOT running AC.

What I've done so far:

I sent out my LS1 harness and PCM to Wait for Me Performance to have the computer tuned and harness reworked. It has returned with clear labeling on the necessary wires.

Based on a couple threads here, I purchased Painless Wiring 70107 - 7 Fuse kit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-70107/)

I also knew I would need specific relays for the fans so I purchased Painless Wiring 30107 - 3 Relay kit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-30107/)

Where I start to get confused:

So the last thing I want to do is fry something. So that's what fuses and relays are for, correct?

So I thought I had what I needed with the 7 fuse kit, but in the process of researching I found a couple places talking about 3 more relays and 5 fuses related to ignition. The clearest example I found was this diagram (http://www.4moores.com/280z/files/ls1wiringNEW.pdf). I notice the 7 fuse Painless kit, does have a relay on it. Does this kit somehow take care of the ignition relays/fuses?

Next, Fuel. Do I need to add any wiring, relays, or fuses to rig up the fuel pump? Or can I just use the activation wire with the existing Datsun setup?

Somewhat unrelated, One of the wires on the modified harness is labeled as clutch anticipate switch. I do have the pedal setup from the Firebird, but do I really need to rig this up in order to get the engine to startup?

Thanks for any help :)

post-9082-016914200 1318879882_thumb.jpg

Below is from a PM I sent another member:

Attached is a photo showing my power center for my swap. I have not gone back and cleaned up the wires since I completed the swap. I want(ed) to make sure everything was running smoothly before hiding wires. :)

At the top of the photo you will see four 30 amp relays. Each relay controls different systems. The first relay on the left supplies power to the 8 circuit fuse block you can see in the middle of the picture. The relay is control by an ignition hot wire which makes the fuse block an ignition hot block. The relay supplies ignition hot power that the PCM uses and I must find another constant hot source for the PCM elsewhere.

The second relay from the left controls my electric fans. I have only 1 speed fans (Flex-a-lite 210) thus need only one relay. I use the low speed wire from the PCM to control this relay. The 3rd relay controls the fuel pump. This relay is different than the others in that the PCM SUPPLIES +12v instead of pulling to ground. The last relay on the right is for the torque converter lockup (I am running a 4L60E).

The fuse block is a simply 8 circuit block I picked up from an industrial electrical supply store for $15. The injectors, coils, PCM and sensors get ignition hot power from this block. At the extreme right of the photo you will see two green maxi fuses. These fuses are for the fuel pump and electric fan. The battery feeds the fuse block directly and then power is distributed from the fuse block to the respective relay.

post-1734-071965300 1318889322_thumb.jpg

Edited by ktm

Ok, so if I understand correctly, the first relay you mention is doing the job of relays 1-3 from the diagram pdf I linked to? (http://www.4moores.com/280z/files/ls1wiringNEW.pdf) And it would be very similar to the 7 fuse kit I have, with the exception that in that kit, 4 of the fuses are switched, and 3 are always on?

What is the advantage of 1 or 3 relays doing the same thing? Is one way safer? Or maybe one way is easier to troubleshoot?

As far as the Mazi Fuse you have for your powered components (fuel pump & fans), The 3 relay kit I have has a circuit breaker between the battery and the relays. Does this serve the same purpose as you Maxi Fuses, or do I need to have Battery -> Circuit Breaker -> Maxi Fuse -> Relays?

Just to add to my info, I am running a T56 tranny. There are no powered components associated with this that need a relay, correct?