HybridZ

Air bleeder in top radiatr hose

I am mocking up my radiator and need advice on my hoses. Using the search funtion, I think I have found Gates part numbers for hoses to attach LS to stock radiator. I have purchased the JCI fluids set and it looks like the top hose JCI supplies is good. I have purchased the fancy tee fitting adapter with air bleeder petcock and sight glass from JTR. I understand that the tee fitting is needed to connect to the steam vent on the heads. My question is this: is the bleeder and sight glass really necessary? With the way the JCI top hose is contoured, I can't see why any air in that line wouldn't rise to the top tank of the radiator naturally. The only reason I can see that one would need a petcock to vent air is if the hose had a section that was higher up than the top tank of the radiator? Is that right? I am a neat freak and I don't want to have the sight glass and petcock if they serve no purpose. Thoughts, ideas??

post-5903-094858100 1318916474_thumb.jpg

post-5903-064303200 1318916490_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

I am mocking up my radiator and need advice on my hoses. Using the search funtion, I think I have found Gates part numbers for hoses to attach LS to stock radiator. I have purchased the JCI fluids set and it looks like the top hose JCI supplies is good. I have purchased the fancy tee fitting adapter with air bleeder petcock and sight glass from JTR. I understand that the tee fitting is needed to connect to the steam vent on the heads. My question is this: is the bleeder and sight glass really necessary? With the way the JCI top hose is contoured, I can't see why any air in that line wouldn't rise to the top tank of the radiator naturally. The only reason I can see that one would need a petcock to vent air is if the hose had a section that was higher up than the top tank of the radiator? Is that right? I am a neat freak and I don't want to have the sight glass and petcock if they serve no purpose. Thoughts, ideas??

This is how i did my 83 zx . You really don't need the petcock . You can plug it with pipe plug or ? . Good luck

post-11413-037377700 1318975203_thumb.jpg

The main reason is to have the steam vents from the heads go above the engine, so they don't overheat. There is a lengthy discussion over on LS1tech about how since the rear isn't vented normally, it can cause the #7 cylinder to run hot. I plan on venting all 4 of mine to the little billet radiator hose fitting shown in the pic above.

I have decided to put a fitting in the top tank of the radiator in the location of the black X in the picture in the above posting. That way steam ("steam vent") is venting up to an air chamber. After research here and on LS1tech, it looks like that is how the factory did it on a stock LS1 radiator. It shouldn't need a petcock because the top tank has some air in it anyway. Only difference then is that the top tank is at the pressure limited by the pressure spring in the radiator cap, while a petcock can be opened to atmospheric pressure. I plan to install an expansion tank for radiator in order to keep water off the ground at the track.

Any input from the experts?

• 3 weeks later...

Champion from Datsun Parts on eBay. mpramsey recommended the kit. It is a 3-core; the 4-core is on back order and I was tired of waiting. The fan shroud needed some tweaking and the fan mounting holes do not come drilled. I thought it would be more of a kit, but as everything it was another project to contend with. The quality and finishing was not great. The top hose is the same as the LS and the JCI supplied hose is good. The lower hose is smaller, and the bend in it conflicts with the right fan. The JCI hose doesn't fit and doesn't have the proper bends in it. Gonna replace the lower hose. Either with an Autozone "whatever fits" hose or a 2002 F-body hose (I ordered one last week and will pick it up tomorrow). I'll cover my final solution on my Mentor Wanted build thread.