HybridZ

Lookee Here!

Hard to tell but is that a SBC?! I think the downpipe needs work and I'm not keen on the turbo position but it looks like it's got potential! icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gif

Oh, and I like this one better!

http://voice.htmlplanet.com/cgi-bin/i/picture16.jpg

Shame there's no intercooler though but a neat packaging idea! icon_smile.gif

[ September 28, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

Hmmmm, well that solves our ground clearance problems. Over the car exhaust system. icon_biggrin.gif Thats exactly how I had pictured it being done. Really cool. Single turbo with a cross over pipe.

Opinions, for small amounts of boost (5-7 lbs which on a 350 is still supposed to put out about 427hp!) is the intercooler required? I had read it was'nt because you weren't compressing the air as much so your not making the charge as hot. Any opinions?

Regards,

Lone

PS: Heres a Turbo calculator toy for you guys to play with, not sure how accurate it is. icon_smile.gifhttp://www.sn95.com/projects/turbo/part1.htm look in the middle of the page for the calculator.

Honestly if all I wanted was 5-7lbs of boost I'd look at something like a PowerDyne supercharger. It ought to be able to supply that boost with a 9lb head unit without straining too bad (9lb on a 302) and you'd not have the plumbing issues. Those blowers don't use an oil feed either if I recall and I've seen them make power on a Ford. I don't like their reliability record but on a low(ish) boost app where you aren't spinning them out of their designed range it's worth a shot. Those blowers are pretty cheap too! Heck, maybe even a used Vortech head unit, say an S Trim? Hrm....

To answer your question directly though - for a low boost application no intercooler is required. How many folks do you know that stay satisfied with a low boost application though? icon_biggrin.gif Mo' Power!

Wait a minute. Didn't we have a thread a few months back about out of control exhaust systems? Running it over the roof ala Land Rover roll cage, or through the the firewall as a supplimentary heater? We have to be carefull what we say on this board. It looks like someone may be taking us seriously!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah Davy, it looks awesome and definitely doable. Probably move the battery and give some room for a decent down pipe to the exhaust system.

Jim, I know its low boost, but we're talking a junkyard turbo project here using low boost on a stock smogger chevy 350. This works to its advantage it having sub 8 to 1 compression. I know people want to run 20+ psi and go crazy, but if I can achieve my own goal of 420 hp using no high lift, long duration cam and the stock 1.94's on 76cc chamber heads and it'll idle smooth just like stock then I'll be happy as a punk in a pickle patch. I've seen the cast 4 bolt motor run that conventionally with better heads, more compression and lumpy cam, I just want to see if it can be done through forced induction.

icon_smile.gif And if it blows up, well after I managed to work my way back from the doghouse the Wife would no doubt put me in, then well, it'd be ready for all forged parts with LOTS of boost the second time around. icon_wink.gif

Probably makes no sense, but no one has accused me of making much sense lately. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

Hey, if that's what you want to do I'm not knocking it. You'll learn a TON and probably not spend much learning it. I too wouldn't mind doing a turbo setup of some sort and almost envy the ZXT guys. However I'm not sure it'll be this motor that sees a turbo - it's fast enough right now without adding still more power. Heck, I get in the RX7 and I actually thought the clutch was slipping in 2nd gear. Turns out the car just makes that much less torque than the Z however I finally noticed that the speedo was moving about as fast as the tach too. icon_smile.gif That and the lack of clutch smell let me know it wasn't quite that bad yet (lol).

Go for it man and please do let us know how you go about making th emanifolds. It's a real bummer that finding manifolds is so darned hard for the SBC...

P.S. You reading in on the Yahoo JYTurbo group? If this is truly your interest than that's a VERY good group to get in on icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yeah someone here posted it (thanks!) (JYTurbo on Yahoo) and I've been reading it. Its all still research at this point, I'll keep everyone up to date on what I find out more.

One thing about the manifold, if you go with a single turbo, you only need to build one! icon_smile.gif Use the blockhugger on the drivers side and cross it over under the engine and tie into the custom manifold ala Buick GN style and there ya go. To mount the turbo on the pass. side, I'm looking to build one that is like a upsidedown blockhugger with a collector that incorporates the pipe from the other side. More when I get to it.

Regards,

Lone

Lone, look at some of the S10 swap headers and GM truck headers. They sweep back like a Mustang header - flip the driver's side upside down and put it on the passenger side icon_smile.gif Some Ford guys have done this with the FOX headers - flip them side for side upside down! I'm not sure how high up they come but it's a possibility if you can find some say at a swap meet. Hrm, I think Carlisle near me may be having something next weekend... icon_biggrin.gif

Lone, BLKMGK does have a good suggestion there--but I would even be willing to go cast iron (heavy) manifolds to make this work--how about some centerdump ("ramshorn") ones to make it work, or even use the ones that come on the 80ish V8 Camaros--some of those older manifolds also kick back and then we just swap side to side like he said and go from there!!!!! A JTR manual on junkyard turbocharging would be very cool about now! icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Yep, you are to good to us. Your a prince Jim. icon_smile.gif Appreciate the sites, added them to my favorites. Not sure how everyone else handles it, I create 'favorite' folders for each topic to save. (I.e. Turbo, Zcars, Intense Rectal Itch). Ground breaking stuff. icon_rolleyes.gif

Regards,

Don

Ya, mine is Automotive followed by a pile of cars and under each one is sections like suspension, motor, parts, EFI etc. icon_smile.gif

The site those pics above came from appears to have EXACTLY the sort of setup we've been debating. I'll be interested to hear Scottie's thoughts on it icon_smile.gif I do notice that the crossover goes right where our crossmember is though so it owuld have to be moved. icon_sad.gif Lot's of mild steel it looks like and it's all wrapped so lifetime of the parts might be questionable - especially on a turbo car. Interesting that he didn't flip any headers but was able to use regular shorties. Not exactly junkyard parts but certainly something to consider...

P.S. Heh, I found that while hunting for sites talking about the TPIS Mini-Ram believe it or not. Unfortunatly I've not found many sites talking about that manifold! If anyone sees one for sale used ring me up as I might be interested. Still pondering possibilities...

You are a gentleman and a scholar! (Go ahead and gush) Thanks for posting the pics--I think the idea of using shorty headers is really great if it can be done with the application that we are contemplating. I do not have the money for a mini-ram, but would love to have at some point! icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

OK ill throw my 2 cents in here since I have helped build two 8 second turbo mustangs at the shop I worked for..and I put together a turbo kit for my z wich willbe going on it soon.

If you want to do turbo setup i would prefer twin its much easier to route everything there is no crossoverpipe etc.

1.. Get some shorty headers that exit down and to rear then flip them upside down..

This willpoint them forward and up .. take some 2.5 inch tubeing and make a flange to the headers... run a short section of that tubeing to place the turbos so that one is in each forward corner of the engine compartment..

Orient the turbos so that the inlet for air intake is faceing the fenders and the oulet for exhaustis faceing in towards the radiator .. cut hole in fender run a 2.5 inch tube out through the hole and place a K and N filter on the end of that tube and then conect it to the turbo inlet useing silicon hoses..

ON the exhaust make a flange to conect a 3 inch tube to the turbos exhaust out let.. RUn a three inch tube Down off the turbo and back UNDER the flipped over headers..and back out the back past the transmision just as you would with a normal header..

FOr the turbo out let < assumeing you did this right and have a intercooler > YOu will need to rotate the outlet housieng of the turbo so that its exiting and pointing FORWARd in the car.. Run out of the turbo to some 2 inch tubeing conect it here with silicon hoses and T BOLT clamps as you will see preasure here..

RUN these tubes out to the front of the car through the factory circular holes next to eachside of the radiator < if you oriented turbos rigth its a prety much straight shot > then curve them in so they both point towards the oposite sides of the car ..

here is where the inter cooler will be.. YOu will need to have a custom set of end tanks made.. one side top or botom will have to have a 2 inch inlet at each end of the intercooler

The otherside will need a single 3 inch outlet at the center of the tank .. something like this ..

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/8668/dad31.jpg

From there you exit the intercooler with 3 inch tubeing and < the way we did it > run it out to the side of the car and up inside the fender well YOu then cut another hole in the inner fender and run it into the engine compart ment..and up to the < carb/intake >

All these conections made on this side of the turbo should be with silicon hose and T bolt style clamps as well to stop it from blowing the parts apart under boost.

OK this is a basic exsplenation of probably the easiest way to setup the turbo kit in a Z .. It is in NO way compleat as i have not evne touched on the waste gates or the blow of vavle ..

I simply wanted to give you an idea of how it would be plumbed and what it would look like...

I've been pondering a setup much like you describe. Issues that I see are height that the headers place their outlets and space to run the exhaust back. I don't think there's room under the motor mount area and running under the crossmember would screw up ground clearance. Guess I need to do some more poking around but those were the first things that occured to me (shrug). Sounds like you've thought about this alot - going to make a kit? icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

there is PLENTY of room the headers leave everything below the exhuast port empty .. there is MORE then enough room to run a 3 inch tube down and back ... I know i fabed the whole thing up and it fits nice..

only reason imnot runing it is my motor is high compresion so imwaiting till time for rebuild then I will put in low comp pistons along with a speed pro FI system that i have. ..

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: 1fstz ]