HybridZ

Wangan Zeto: An Introduction

Seeing as I'd hate to leave those of you kind enough to read these posts in the same suspenseful state as I currently am in, here is a look ahead of the color scheme I am thinking of going with. It is close to the original paint my car came with, therefore I find that it is both a restoration and a tribute to the cars original state that ties into my overall objective of having a Z with classic styling with modern performance enhancements.

post-22914-032297300 1325705870_thumb.jpg

Someone is getting dangerously close to my color scheme...

:P

• 4 months later...

Someone is getting dangerously close to my color scheme...

:P

What a beautiful Z! I love everything you have done with yours, as it is what I imagined my 240z to look like after swapping in my L28et and going to paint. I think the only different between what you've done and what I'd like to do in regards to paint is to keep the hood painted the same color as the rest of the car. That and painting the interior and engine bay a coral blue. Still considering this combination, as the contrast between a bright orange and a light blue might be too extreme. However I think it may come out looking flashy, yet classy if done properly.

As for everyone else who has been following this build and asking about my progress, I apologize for not updating more consistently. As of right now I have completed all of my wiring and am just trying to overcome an issue with my starter motor. Once that is completed, the car will be back on the road again where it belongs. I should also mention that I have been busy helping a friend with a project that was recently put under his control. Without any further adieu, I give you the RATSUN!

post-22914-072981500 1352319335_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is a relatively large Garrett turbo sticking out of the hood.

post-22914-071568900 1352319343_thumb.jpg

And just when you thought you had an absurdly wide stance. How about 12 inch drag radials in the rear and rims with a lip deep enough it'll fit a Monster energy drink can?

post-22914-016856300 1352319391_thumb.jpg

Finishing up the wiring before running fuel lines and getting it started. Hopefully my donation of the stock injectors from my L28et will get this thing running of the stock ECU before more extreme aspirations begin (aftermarket fuel rail, 650cc injectors,NIStune engine management).

Now that I've gotten your attention, here's another project I've been assisting with while my Z has sat...

post-22914-069414000 1352319723_thumb.jpg

Here's a little teaser of the mold that is intended for a DSR motorcycle engine racecar. It is the work of Steve W, a fabricator and mentor that does fabulous work. For more information on his DSR project, please check out the link at REVelation Racing under "Composite Work: DSR Mold Buck." That's all for now folks, hope to hit you with another update once I get the electrical gremlins taken care of.

• 1 month later...

It's been some time since I have updated my progress, and to be quite honest I don't know who is following it anymore.  However, I recently put my L28ET up on Craigslist to get a feel for what offers I might get for it.  The main reason being that after determining the total cost of the harness, updating the fuel system and other small bits and pieces, I realized that it was once again out of my price range.  After receiving offers for trades of stock L28's and an undisclosed cash offer (undisclosed to me that is), I finally got an offer that stood out.

A set of Dellorto triple carburetors with intake and linkage, a servicing kit for them and a L28/N42 shortblock.  I was blown away, given that any Z enthusiast gets excited by the idea of having a throaty L-series engine powering their Zed.  If everything goes according to plan, I will have the Dellortos on my L24 asap while I finish building the L28 and preparing to swap it in.

Anyone familiar with the fuel delivery setup for triples?  I was going to use the stock fuel filter > mech. fuel pump > carbs with no return for now, but eventually I was thinking of something along the lines of this:

Fuel tank > Fuel Filter > Low Pressure electric fuel pump > stock feed line> carburetors > FPR (3.5 psi) > stock return line

Let me know your thoughts if you have any.  In the meantime I will continue to search the forums in hopes of stumbling across a write up.