HybridZ

Overheating

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

All,

Here is what I did this weekend.....I took the pusher fan out from in front. I made the coolent mixture a little leaner ( more water ). Using the clutching fan the temp climbed right on over to hot!. I put the pusher back in front and nothing. I took out the thermostat and put in a restrictor plate....same old thing. I replaced the clutching fan with my HD flex fan....it seemed to be a little better in that it did not peg the temp gauge without the pusher fan in front. Now here is the kicker. I put the pusher fan in front, stepped up the idle to 1000rpm and turned on the pusher fan.....low and behold the temp cam down.....reduce the idle and the temp went up.....stepped up the idle and the temp came down......OK everyone how do I resolve this? What is my weak point. I don't want to buy another new radiator if it will do the same thing.

Again thanks to everyone, this has been a big help.

Pete

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I just got in from working on the Z again today.....it is 95 degrees. Here is what is the configuration which seems to work the best. I got a smaller pully for the water pump, about ~5.75" which mean that when I am idling at 750rpm the fan is turning about 1050 rpm. With the pusher fan running and the care ideling the hottest it got was abut 205 to 210......now here is the interesting part.....I used a small C clamp and restricted the flow on the top hose and the temp drop about 10 degrees and was vary stable around 195 to 200. It took it out for a spin and it ran about 185 or so and when I came to a stop it took a long time to climb to about 205. So what do you think, mabe a smaller restrictor? Maybe I was moving the water to fast through the radiator and it never got a chance to cool, sound reasonable to me what do you all think?

Added information....I rebuilt the enging about 1500 miles ago.....I had the block cooked as well as the heads, so everything was clean. I used the flat top pistons so I am running about 9.2 to 1 on the compression.

have a good day

Pete

Well if your temp goes down with higher rpm still at an idle (ie. from 750-1000 like you said) I'd have to guess your pulley ratio is too slow for the water pump and bumping yoru idle finally got the coolant flowing fast enough to cool/circulate (you can have coolant too fast or too slow), OR your A/F mixture is too lean at idle and 1000 if triggered by your throttle plates starts your air pulling more air/fuel in to richen your mix and cool it off.