HybridZ

SB2 install

I am looking to trade out my 383 for a 421 SB2 set up, bought the motor for 11k here is what the add said.

Professionally built 421c.i SB2 Engine Dart Aluminium block, 4.155x3.875, 14:1CR, 50mm cam ,Chevy Aluminium SB2 heads(211), titanium del west valves Jesel shaft rocker system all Crower rotating assembly, best parts engine is set up for dry sump oiling system and comes with custom aluminium dry sump oil tank and lines and filter, aluminium valve covers with oiling system , never blown and not abused and very little run time since new drop in and your ready dyno reading 869hp and 715fpt @8800 , very smooth and Very Powerful engine with over 20K invested , NO JUNK great engine my loss your gain kinda thing

I'm thinking the numbers are overrated but shure am interrested in getting 700HP@7500k im thinking with the short stroke should be happy in the upper RPM range. Waiting for picks of the bottom end to varify components. Obviously i cant run 14:1 on the street all the time so i will need new pistons to lower it down around 11/11.5:1 but what kind of cam profile do they like? I have some Try-y's for it (hope they will fit) so im thinking a 4/7 swap will be in order but does anyone have expirence with these motors? Any tips to make them more streetable?

Surpip:

14 to 1 compression ratio is a bit much for the street. Best way to reduce static compression is to remove one of the heads, the oil pan and one of the piston/rod assemblies. Measure the bore diameter, piston diameter, piston compression height, rod length, deck height and combustion chamber volume. Go to kb-silvolite and run the static compression ratio with different size dished pistons to see what is needed. Then go to jepistons for the SRP professional pistons to see if there is a dish piston that will come close to what is needed. 3.875 is not particularly a short stroke.

Retain all else with exception of the pistons and set up appropriate squish with the pistons and head gasket. If the cylinder heads have bolts, go to studs as they are much better for exact torque value.

Yeah I figured I’m not going to chance this one my 383 I put together myself but I think a monkey can throw together a SBC all let a engine shop do this one for me plus I don’t have a bore gauge or any engine tools like I said earlier I’m thinking mid to low 11's for CR as for the 3.875 I think that would be short enough to push me in the realm of being able to rev in the 7k range? So do you think the cam will be fine as is? I don’t have any specks on it but I imagine revving lower an lowering the CR would have effects on the ideal cam profile.

Yes NASCAR baised but used in circle track and lots of other motorsports as well, should be BA in a 3000# car eh? and shoot me a PM about the 383 thats in it now going to sell it if your interested. Picks on my build thread.

Edited by surpip

Recived a reply from mike on the cam

I'd suggest my part# R79421A-80412-108

265/271@ .050"

.421"/412" Lobe Lift

108 LSA

You'll need about a 4,500rpm stall.

This will make peak HP @ 7,000rpm, and you can shift as high as 7,400rpm.

BTW i have 1.7 rockers thus sounds reasonable to me, what do yall think?

The cam, lifters, and some of the valvetrain is different depending on which block is used. Pistons are SB2 specific. You probably should stick the headers on it and see if it fits between the strut towers. SB2's are much wider than sbc's.

jt

Nothing a BFH cant fix :P ,looks like the exhaust porst are pritty much the same width. I'm pritty shure if the 4 valve Ford motor can fit in there this shouldent be a problem but i still have 3 mounths until i can work on it. I bought Try-y headders for it how much fun do you think those are going to be to try an fit? :banghead:

It may work just fine.... I hope it does, I'd love to see a SB2 Zcar. I've pondered it a bit, since the used nascar stuff is readily available around here. I concluded the extra expense and effort wasn't worth the extra hp, at least for what I was doing. The eye candy factor alone would be huge... if anybody's built a SB2 Z, I've never seen it anywhere.

I think the driver side header will be a particular challenge, with the motor mount, steering shaft, TC rod and footwell all coming into play. The SB2 ports are maybe an inch wider than 23deg, but at least a couple of inches higher. Also the DS valve cover will be pretty close to the MC. All that can probably be dealt with.

There's a local guy here who buys used nascar SB2 stuff and builds dirt late model engines on sbc blocks. They start off at 840 hp, and go over 900 if the buyers budget supports it. Lots of potential there.

jt

Edited by jt1