HybridZ

How to fit ford engine mounts on the datsun's?

Guest firebern

Well, I've seen a couple, but I'm using a crossmember from Trans-Dapt. You cut it to size, weld the ends on, and weld it into place. I'm going to grind off the stock motor mount perches off the front crossmember to make room for the oil filter, and because it will just be in the way. I wanted to do it this way because it will be more sturdy, and will make the front end a little more rigid. Plus, I can place the engine exactly where I want it.

But that's just for my project. If you want the Summit part # for the crossmember, I can find it.

Thanks,

AL

------------------

http://zcar.netdojo.com

Well, I've seen a couple, but I'm using a crossmember from Trans-Dapt. You cut it to size, weld the ends on, and weld it into place. I'm going to grind off the stock motor mount perches off the front crossmember to make room for the oil filter, and because it will just be in the way. I wanted to do it this way because it will be more sturdy, and will make the front end a little more rigid. Plus, I can place the engine exactly where I want it.

But that's just for my project. If you want the Summit part # for the crossmember, I can find it.

Thanks,

AL

------------------

Guest Anonymous

I've seen that crossmember and was considering it as well. I'm thinking of using some 2x2" square pipe notched to fit the frame rail and reinforced at the frame rail with some angle iron (to fit over the stock datsun frame rail, then just weld the angle iron over the frame rail). This might all be a bit over kill though. On the engine side of the mount, just cut the 2x2 at a angle, weld some flat stock on for a mounting pad and use a stock Ford motor mount. The trans-dapt is also a tempting idea, maybe weld the mounts on the side to some angle to fit over the frame rail to distribute the weight over the top of the datsun frame rail rather than just the side of the frame rail.

I'll share another Idea I had as far as the crossmember. Have you seen the 'double hump fox crossmember' for the mid eighties to early nineties Mustangs? Just weld (or bolt with a backing plate inside the car) a bracket on each side to hold that crossmember in. Use the stock Ford trans mount. I'll have to measure it to see if it'll fit and make sure its not to wide to fit the tunnel. The thing I thought was good about that idea, is once the crossmember is in, two bolts to remove and the crossmember is out and the brackets stay in, instead of eight bolts like the JTR design. That also gives ample room for dual exhausts. I'm considering the 302/WCT-5 BTW into my '72 240z.

Oh well, probably a hundred ways to put it in there, but I do like either using a separate X-member like Alsil was talking about, or mounts to take advantage of the ford's not having a distributor to get in the way of the firewall/hoodlatch and to set it back as much as possible. (and hey, if the weight distribution is even better, I can live with that!). Also like Alsil, I want to try and keep the oil filter intact without using a remote oil filter, and I'll be able to use the stock Ford mechanical fuel pump (I'll be using probably a earlier motor thats not fuelie) to simplify wiring slightly. If I do go with the earlier motor I may just build brackets to use the Datsun alternator as well, it works and its there and already wired, no reason to disturb it if I don't need to.

Oh well, those are my idea's, sift through and see what you think.

Lone

I like the trans crossmember Idea! I was going to take some 2" and make a small crossmember that uses the stock holes, but they woould be tough to get to. I like your idea better, that way you use the stock Ford one. Problem is, I think it may be too wide. If you measure one before me, let me know if it fits. I have a month or 2 before I get to that, so I'd like to see if that works. Also, I am going to add a piece to the top of the crossmember mounting point to reinforce. I thought about drilling holes and bolting it through the frame, but I thought that would be a little tough to to correctly. I don't want this to be off.

Thanks,

AL

------------------

If you guys need measurements and don't have one handy let me know. I'm sure my friend's shop will have a Mustang onthe lift next time I'm over (lol - that's all he works on) so I can try to get the measurements or crawl under mine. Not sure if the SN95 and earlier FOX bodies are different - shall I check? For that matter - this might work for those of us using T56's too...

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I'm a little concerned with its width too. The JTR mount is (measured from the outside of each hump) a total of 15". That might be to narrow for the crossmember the mustang has, I have'nt seen it in person. From the looks of it, it doesn't appear that wide, the mustang isn't a very big car either, the Z actually feels a tad wider inside, but that could be an illusion from having thinner doors. Either way I'm going to make it a removable center section. Heres the pic of the Fox Xmember (sorry about the ad graphics, its the only picture I could find):

mustangplace_1616_24839648

And its available at this site (cheapest I've found it..):

http://stores.yahoo.com/mustangplace/musdoubtranc.html

Regards,

Lone

PS: BLKMGK, that would be great the next time your under the car, or at your partners shop to give it a measure for us. Appreciate that. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited December 27, 2000).]