HybridZ

T-5 QUESTION

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay I decided on going with an 87 5.0 partly because it is a complete motor, also because it is in good shape, now finding a tranny. In my town, Spokane,

there isnt alot of 5.0's laying around so finding a t-5 wont be easy. Is there a certain year T-5 I need and is the mustang the only one that will work with the 87 motor?

You guys have been alot of help so far and I am sure I will need more as things progress, thanks for your help

Tony

Guest JAMIE T

Any year T5 should work 85-93, but get the newest one you can. I think 91-up are stock with the World Class (WC as it is normally refered to) You could even use a T5 from a 4cyl mustang or thunderbird if your in a pinch but they will not hold up to the power for long, maybe long enough for you get a V8 transmission... That 87 engine should be good for your conversion, but to do any major mods to it you will want to convert it to a Mass Air system like the 89-93 Mustangs have. Are you going to go with the EFI or a Carburator? I think Jim (BLKMGK) mentioned it in another post but is worth mentioning again, The H.O. engines have low tension rings and wear out sooner than regular rings. This can be good and bad. Good news is that with the low tension rings, these blocks can usually be rebuilt without boring them, plus the pistons are forged and you can reuse them also. I have rebuilt one of these engines for as little as $300 before and it is still running strong with good compression. Bad news is they do sometimes need rebuilding because of the low tension rings. If the engine is running in a car then you can do a compression check, if it is good and close on every cylinder then I would say run it. I was following a post earlier and it was about just getting one of these things(HybridZ) running by just buying a running engine and just doing it. Thats what is important, driving them. While the stock engine is motoring you around and whooping up on most every car in town, you can be building a hot motor to install later to run down some Viper GTS'. Getting all of the mounts and exhaust and bugs worked out is the hard part, dropping another engine in can be done in a weekend or a couple of hours if your really serious about it.

sorry this is so long!

Jamie