HybridZ

Question for JAMIE and DAN

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys I had a few questions I was hoping you could help me with. First with my 86, If I got later heads and pistons from a newer 5.0 would it be the same motor as the newer ones 87 88 and so on? Also on the heads is there other heads off of some vehicle that would bolt on that would give me as much if not more than the later 5.0, heads or should I look for a later head from another 5.0? also if there is another head what vehicle and year would I look for. I like ford so I want to work this motor out but i would like to make it like the later 5.0s so what ever you guys suggest I should do to make it that way please let me know.

Thanks for all your help

tony

Guest JAMIE T

Other than the heads and pistons, your engine is the same as any other year 5.0. If you want to change the heads, then go with the 87+ or I have heard of poeple using 351 heads, they have larger ports but also larger combustion chambers, they will lower your compression to under 9:1, not good for a NA engine. I would really recommend the FRPP GT40 heads as oposed to the GT40P heads. The GT40P heads have special exhaust flanges, and I am not sure if Mustang style shorty headers will work on the Z. The GT40 heads share the same Exhaust port flange as all regular Sm. ford heads, so Street Rod style block huggers will work just fine. A rebuild kit with Hyper. pistons is cheap, forged piston kits cost a bit more.

Good Luck

Jamie

I've seen a SBF mounted in a Z with stock shorty headers. Obviously the motor mounts make a big difference and the motor seemed to sit a little high but it fit with a double hump pan and under a stock hood. That's with a stock EFI setup too. Shifter for th eT5 came up right where it's supposed to smile.gif

The GT40Ps are cheap, came on Explorers, but I'd worry a little about the headers. They'd cost a little more maybe and I'm told that spark plug clearance is tight. Still, it flows VERY well and is cheap... As for 351W heads - forget it. The older heads were the ones that might have been different and they did NOT flow as well as the later Ford 302 heads IMO.

Head over to some of the Ford Mustang BBs. I have no doubt heads are being sold left and right out there. Darts, TFS, AFR, you name it! A set of used iron Darts would work well. If you can give me a budget I can try to find you some here from my friend's Mustang shop that would be known good. For that matter, I might be able to snag a set of stock ones from a later 302 dirt cheap plus shipping. Shipping won't be cheap though. Heh, I've even got some really grungy ones from my 88 here I'd let go if you really want them. they will HAVE to be hot tanked though - one has been setting on my bench a couple of years and I've been using a metal buffer close by so it's covered in grunge frown.gif They ran okay but springs and valves while it's out wouldn't be a bad idea. They were maybe used 2 years (shrug).