HybridZ

got my motor! now questions!

Guest scca

picked up a 91 5L with tranny today, all FI wiring, tranny mount, computer etc $700..

80000 miles on it,.

NOW what do i need to do.. smile.gif

looks like the oilpan rear seal may be slightly leaking and the guy told me that the intake at the rears tend to leak on these things too..so i think i'll strip in and change intake and oilpan gaskets/rearmain seal...

clutch is almost dead so whats a good replacement..Cforce or is new FORD motorsport ok? others?

is the qmaster or tilton hydraulic t/o brng the best choice or is there a alternative?

headers-- i assume the stock wont work so do i just need a blockhugger one?

i'll be getting a griffin or Howe rad and seems like the taurus fan is the one of choice..

anyone got some ideas on the wiring other than buying the fomoco book?

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.outlaw-brakes

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Guest JAMIE T

Sounds like you got a good deal Mike. The rear main seal is easy to replace, Just pry the old one out and install the new one, tap it in. The Ford Motorsport clutch is a good clutch for the money, a little stiff, but you get used to it, I have put 90K miles on one of these clutches and it will still catch third with a stock engine. The centerforce is better, easier on the left calf biggrin.gif

Sounds like you have a good start

Jamie

Hrm... Definatly do th erear seal and check it for wear back there too. There are "repair" sleeves that can be used of the surface is worn. My friend's shop has had to use these a few times (lol).

Clutch - how much power will you be pushing? I had a brand new SVO clutch that died pretty fast with gobs of torque and about 450HP in a fat Mustang (2 turbos- #10lbs boost). This is your convertible driver right? If so the stock Ford might be fine for you. Left leg will feel it though. I MIGHT have a CF pressure plate in the garage though - interested? I'll poke around and see. If not I might be able to find one at my friend's shop from someone swapping up. If you find other parts you need let me know - he's got parts stacked to the ceiling over there (literally) and is a good guy who's got direct connections everywhere for parts.

Headers - try the stock ones or cheap aftermarket ones. I've seen them used. I'll TRY to get pics of the 302Z I keep talking about but the guy is hard as hell to nail down!

P.s. Sounds like a good deal on the motor!

Oh heck and I was just in the garage too. I'll look tonight if I can remember - I'd forget my head if it wasn't screwed on!

Sorry man, no sign of it (sigh). I may have given it away or it might be what's in the Mustang now - I'm just not sure. I've got to goto my friend's shop Monday night to pick up some parts, I'll ask him what he's got in the way of clutches. Anything else you need? Lemme' know.

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited April 01, 2001).]