HybridZ

reply to comments on the 86 5.0

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I read some comments on the 86 5.0 and I am really confused. Today I visited my local ford motor builders and to my suprise, an 86 5.0. It did have valve reliefs and yes it did have crappy heads, but the guy working on the motor said most of the newer mustang 5.0s did. According to him its the same heads as the newer ones. He said he had never heard or seen a 5.0 without valve reliefs, he said the SVOs even had them. He said the 86 was the exact motor as the newer ones and actually seemed offended that I mentioned such a thing. So I got a second and third opinion, and they were all the same. Im confused

Tony

He's full of crap. Ford DID put different heads and pistons on that 5.0 motor. They might have had valve reliefs but they were in a different position than the motors before and after. Call up a cam hotline and talk to them - you'll find that if you tell them you've got an '86 that they will warn you about lift numbers on the cam if you've swapped heads. In fact, look at the SVO motorsport catalog's cams. I think you'll find warnings there too!

That motor was a one year trial for Ford. Higher swirl in the chamber is what they were after I believe. This knocked HP down but brought torque up. This has been documented in lot's of magazines and books - that guy has his head in the sand if he's never heard about it. Oh, let him know that the SVOs were 2.3liter 4cylinders and didn't come with V8s. Ask him what changed from 86 to 87 that brought HP up 25ponies if it was the "exact same motor".... If I can find some reference URLs I'll post them but I won't have time to hunt tonight.

Guest JAMIE T

I don't know what to tell you cheif. I have worked on more mustangs than I care to remember. I have plenty of experience with all of the years of the HO 5.0's. Are the people you are asking, the second and third opinions, mustang experts or just engine rebuilders. What I have said about the 86 engines, poor heads, no valve reliefs, etc... is true to the extent of my knowledge, I have seen this with my own eyes. I hope you can get to bottom of this mystery. Go to www.nmraracing.com a mustang only web site, they have a very good message board, post a question and it will be answered. good luck

Jamie

Spoke to my mechanic friend about an hour ago and asked him about the 86s and valve reliefs. He claims little to no valve relief and "crappy heads". If he's showing you a motor with valve reliefs and claiming it's an 86 then by all means let him think that but try to get th elater model heads. smile.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

The pistons in the 86 engine are forged by TRW

These pistons can be "flycut" for valve clearance

Usually only the intake side needs to be cut

For most stock style heads

You can run 87-95 NON COBRA heads,E7TE castings,without piston to valve clearence,

aslong as you use stock ratio(1.6) rockers and a stock 86-95 cam

Go to www.trickflow,com

Those heads need NO valve releifs

The 86 heads do s*ck,poor flow and shrouded/recessed valve seats

But the pistons can be cut and so you can use a bigger cam and better heads

Since the pistons will have only one cut instead of four,the compression will be more

than with the 87-92 pistons

87-92 engines have TRW forgings stock

The 93-95 engines had hyper pistons..FYI

I usually post at www.stangnet.com or www.corral.com

Good luck

[ May 27, 2001: Message edited by: 84 LTD LX ]