HybridZ

V10 in a Mustang!

Guest Anonymous

I would be interesting to know the length of the motor in relation to an L6. Overall weight would be a concern. They say it's not heavy, but that is a relative statement, especially when talking about American cars. Neat motor, though. I bet it sounds tough at WOT!

David

That's a Triton-based V10. Ford uses it in the F230/350, and I think in the Excursion. It's based on the Ford 5.4 Triton V8 Mod Motor, so I would say a good guess at length would be 25% longer than the 5.4 Mod motor. Those things are _really_ wide - I'd be more worried about that if you want to fit one in a Z.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, it probably would be to wide in the Z, perhaps in one that had a tubular front frame and removed the shock towers and replaced with a different suspension. Would'nt be easy or cheap, but it would make a viper killer with a real V10, maybe a viper 6sp behind it..... icon_smile.gif I'd like to see one of those motors leaned on a bit (custom cam, more compression, bigger injectors etc), I bet it could put out some good power, and well the torque would speak for itself... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

I think with just a cam change that engine would rock! With all of those other things you just mentioned, I wonder why Furd has not come out with a Viper killer yet. Research & development maybe?

David

I thought some folks were already looking at the 4.6 - yes? This motor has a slightly taller deck I think but not much else different. Friend considered one of the 5.4's for his Cobra butdecided it was too much work. The 5.4's are starting to show up in the yards already...

Guest Anonymous

Actually, Ford did do a concept vehicle with the V10 quite a long time ago, it was basically a show car though, a two seat indy car (awesome looking as I remember) with a V10 in it. I think I saw it in Hot Rod years ago but wouldn't swear it. Would be REALLY cool to put one in a Cobra replica huh? See who is the biggest snake on the block... icon_smile.gif

Lone

no replacement for displacement!i have seen these apart at work.it is very compact for a v10 except for width-probably only 6 or 8 inches longer.not to heavy-they didnt spare any extra metal anywhere.the spark plugs are in intake manifold so if you got one in a z you could change plugs in 20 minutes.it would need better cams though.cam lobes are p[ressed on hollow shaft.i would rather have 5.4 dohc lincoln navagator engine with cobra cams.

quote:

Originally posted by lonehdrider:

Actually, Ford did do a concept vehicle with the V10 quite a long time ago, it was basically a show car though, a two seat indy car (awesome looking as I remember) with a V10 in it.

Lone

That was the Indigo. I watched them testing it a few years back at Ford's Michigan Proving Grounds. I even got to help push it into the garage - it had about a 500ft turning circle and no reverse gear - took some maneuvering to get it through the door... icon_wink.gif

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like it needed some work still huh? Haha. Well the 'autorama' cars were always that way, often looked awesome, but were often not very practical and in some cases not functional.

I remember reading about the 2 cycle chrysler engine and the car it was in being pushed down a big hill, just so it could roll by a group of magazine people who took some shots of it. The car basically had no functional suspension and was reported to handle like a forklift. The engine was a wood mockup nicely painted to resemble the real prototype engine. Apparently they had working engines, but were ready in time for this press release. I don't know where they stand on the engine now, it offered some advantage (3 cyl, 2 stroke = performance in line with the average V6 due to double the power pulses) in power and weight, improvements had been made in emissions due to it having its own lower end oiling and direct fuel injection. Not sure if it went the way of the turbine though. (I think the turbine would make a perfect solution for commuter hybrid electric cars. The turbine could come on to charge the batteries for long hauls. I've seen some small model turbines that were so quiet running at idle you couldn't hear them.

Regards,

Lone