HybridZ

Just got a 73 240z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Just got a 73 240z, it isn't even at my house yet and i found this Forum.

My dreams are to shove a 302 stroked to 347 in it. I am eager, perhaps to eager, to get started.

the first couple things i am wanting to do is find a price for the engine, and look for a transmission. (at least a borgwarer t-5, but i'd love to get a t-56. Am i getting to ahead of myself? should i be doing other things first?

also, suspension, i dislike the stock 240 suspension, anyone know anything to help me out here?

thanks in advance (:

Donald, welcome to the forum! I'm not a Ford guy, but I think you are on the right track by having the car first, then the engine & tranny. One piece of advice: buy the JTR book even thought it's for Chevy installs--it'll help with many aspects of your conversion. Al (Alsil) has a really good website with a lot of great Ford info. Look for his posts and find the link to his site--read it very carefully. Have fun!

Davy

Consider a 351W IMO. I believe you'll be $$ ahead by simply building a 351W instead of a stroked 302. They're a little wider but I think they will fit. I've got a 351W block in the garage and a 351W in my FOX Mustang so I can take measurements if anyone decides to try this swap.

Suspension - what don't you like? Do th ebrakes at least and maybe coilovers. You don't have to go crazy on brakes (I did) but there are some simple upgrades that won't break the bank.

Trnasmissions - T5 or T56. T5 is more fragile and it'll break with a stock 302 if beat on. Tremecs work but I've found them to be nothcy YMMV - I've got one in my Mustang. T56 - it would have to be a modified T56 and it will NOT be found in a junkyard car. Figure about $1700 new for that puppy and it might not include a blowshield. Friends of mine are swapping these into Cobras left and right though icon_smile.gif You'll want to look into hydraulic TO bearings for this swap as cable won't cut it!

Congrats and I agree - get the JTR book. Check out SCCA's WEB site for brakes (search here too) and 302 swap pics. He's going EFI and I think it's a great idea. www.fonebooth.com icon_biggrin.gif The 351W height on the intake can be brough t down to about the same as the 302 BTW with a little intake milling...

And if you need more help with measurements, just ask--I have a 351W with headers, Edelbrock intake and Holley 4BBL, no A/C, just power steering pump and Alt.--(plus it's in an 83 F350, so just getting to some of those measurements might be a little easier than on your pony, BLKMGK)

Jim

Guest Anonymous

AWESOME!!!!!! Finally someone who's got a 351! icon_biggrin.gif I've got a 351w that I'm going to probably put in my 280- When you say measurements, you mean how low one can get it in the bay, and how much breather clearence I still have? (and whatnot)

I can at least get you overall dimensions if needed-my engine may not sit as low in a Z due to the fact it has a 6 qt oilpan (truck application)--but if you needed, say-width, with headers. or bottom pan to top of carb, etc-I could probably get that

Jim

I've got a Canton pan on my Mustang's motor so I don't know if it'll work well for clearance. I'd suggest looking at a 302 swap to see where th eproblem areas are and then going from there. I see no reason why the 351W wouldn't sit just as low to the rack as the 302's do since it uses pretty much the same type oil pan. It's deck height and block width are what's slightly different. As a result the intake sticks up higher than a 302 but for EFI you can simply have the two intake halves milled for additional clearance. icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

okay, here goes:

suspension, i saw things on www.arizonazcar.com *i think that's the addy* long time ago, it was lightweight disc breaks/strut assembly... all around.

springs, i wanna talk to a local spring shop, i have eibachs on my '76, lowered my car, and the ride still isn't stiff enough (for how uncomfortable it is when i hit a bump, these springs really should give me more) also my car is too low

polyeurothane (sp) everything!!

1" sway bars

tires: dunno yet, heard rumors of 17's on z's.. tempting, but gona be expensive

suspension goal: stiff ride (lotsa traction), stock height

and as for the 302>>347, i like that engine 'cuz of how light it is, w/ aluminum heads, and someone tole me they're even lighter with headers too.

yep shox.com has great pricing-- all i do is match pretty well what they sell it for..

as for the springs DO NOT go to the local spring place - in this regard many of us here know FAR more than they do..

take your time and look and learn, Pete's got the 17x9's on a unflared car and a few of us have 5 lug converions--

Petes been building his car so long that 5 lug didnt exist back then icon_biggrin.gif

a 351 should fit no biggie, the main issue will be header clearance to the TC mounts.

i have only 1/8" to 3/16" from the collector to the tc mount.

i have some pics online ont he web...

Guest Anonymous

Back to engine hights- My 351 is out of an early seventies bronco, so go ahead and give me the dimensions for the height as well, if it's not too hard. Just to see what happens- Thanks!

Umm, if you've already got th emotor then you don't need us to measure it for you icon_smile.gif All of th e351W that I'm aware of are about the same. I THINK there might have been a deck height change way back when and I know SVO sells some with taller heights but if this is out of a Bronco it will measure the same as mine. What exactly do you need measured?